Question Two New PC's with similar builds -- same exact crash -- what is causing?

May 22, 2020
Upgraded my old PC with nearly all new parts. Same with son's PC.

My PC Specs:
CPU: i9-9900k
MB: Z390 AORUS ULTRA Rev. 1 (bios version F10b)
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 2x16GB (F4-3600C16D-32GVKC)
CPU Cooler: Corsair h100i Pro RGB
Graphics: EVGA RTX 2080 SUPER FTW3 Hybrid
Storage: Samsung 970 Pro 1tb
PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2L 80+ Gold
Case: Corsair 750D
DxDiag: https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/TTG7FYQBNQ/

Son's PC Specs:
CPU: i9-9700k
MB: Z390 AORUS ULTRA Rev. 1 (bios version F9)
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 2x16GB (F4-3600C16D-32GVKC)
CPU Cooler: Corsair h100i
Graphics: EVGA RTX 2080 SUPER FTW3 Hybrid
Storage: Samsung 970 Pro 512GB
PSU: EVGA Supernova 750G2 80+ Gold
Case: Corsair 750D

Son and i play java Minecraft and we both get exact same java crash with EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION
Example at https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/pTqdDhjMb6/
Have checked drivers are updated, gone back a version (in case the newest release is buggy), adjusted in game memory allocation.
The most interesting finding i came across (though i don't know exactly what it means) is that when i manually put in opengl32.dll into c:\Program Files (x86)\Minecraft Launcher\runtime\jre-x64\bin, the crashes stop. This of course leads me to suspect the video card. Also, i tried some alternate memory and did not receive any crashes. I did get some BSoD later so not sure if the memory was incompatible (was not listed in QVL).

I have not downloaded Java as the MC msi launcher will download Java into the MC folder with Program Files. I can successfully run (no crashes) the game on a decent Dell laptop in this same method of not downloading java separate from the game.

To trouble shoot hardware, i have swapped video cards and RAM with son's PC but not changes. Could issue be incompatibility with Ram/MB/Graphics card/Drivers?
Should have some new RAM in today to check that. But what are the odds that i could have bought two sets of defunct hardware?
I have a simple Dell laptop that is running Minecraft

May 22, 2020
I'm not one to get angry at machines but i am beginning to suspect that I have a defective motherboard .
I updated bios settings on son's PC to utilize onboard graphics instead of the 2080 Super (i plugged in one monitor to the onboard graphics port on motherboard and disconnected all cables to the 2080 Super). After reboot, all i got was a severely garbled image with only one color: green. My whole intention was to rule out any 2080 graphics card issue by using onboard graphics only. Looks like that is impossible.

Last edited:
May 22, 2020
So changing UAC to completely disabled (and in admin) does seem to work (but only as work around). Should not have to set this as MC is working without any issue on laptop with it fully enabled.