Question Two Nvidia Cards In One System.

Jolaoso

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2015
The question I have is that, currently I have a RX 580 and a 1050 ti but i use the 1050 ti for encoding while recording or streaming so I wont see drops in games. (It does work) But I want to move on from the 580 to a 1070, but the thing Im worried about is that they are both nvidia cards and both use NVENC for encoding but I only want to use the 1050 ti for encoding and not the 1070, will this be an issue? It was easy with the 580 because there were 2 different encoders.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
The whole point of having a dedicated hardware encoder like NVENC is that so that encoding has minimal impact on performance. Why not just use the 1070 by itself? And you should be able to use the 589 by itself in the meantime, using the AMD VCE encoder.

Jolaoso

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2015
The whole point of having a dedicated hardware encoder like NVENC is that so that encoding has minimal impact on performance. Why not just use the 1070 by itself? And you should be able to use the 589 by itself in the meantime, using the AMD VCE encoder.
Reason is that there is a performance hit while recording and gaming at the same time. Having another graphics cards doing the encoding while I record or stream helps with the 580 not affecting fps in games. I just had the 1050 liying around so I thought I would use it and it works as I would think.

Jolaoso

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2015
Have you tried gaming and encoding on the same card and seen a noticeable impact on performance? As I said, NVENC/VCE is a dedicated hardware encoder (meaning none of its resources can be used for gaming), so it should have little to no impact on gaming performance.
On the 1050 ti alone yes, but maybe that is due to it being a low end card. I really can't test a 1070 since I don't have one yet.

Jolaoso

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2015
Have you tried gaming and encoding on the same card and seen a noticeable impact on performance? As I said, NVENC/VCE is a dedicated hardware encoder (meaning none of its resources can be used for gaming), so it should have little to no impact on gaming performance.
This is what I was talking about. This answers my question. Using the second card as an encoder if you have two cards that use the same encoder.

View: https://youtu.be/Q_blwJ8kVdo