[SOLVED] Two Nvme SSDs, a m2 SATA slot, a m2 Nvme slot

Jan 7, 2020
Hello everyone, I have a problem and wanted to ask for your opinions. I have bought an additional nvme SSD to my notebook which already had one nvme SSD. Problem is, Disk Management doesn't see the my new bought SSD but I can see it on Bios. Also seems that, my notebook has one m2 Nvme and one m2 SATA slots. I think this causes the problem. What can I do, I need to use both of the disks.

Solution
Thanks, again, and this product looks just fine. I additionally want to ask you, if I use a m2 to SATA converter would it work? Because I have an empt SATA slot actually and using 256Gb one at slow speed is not problem for me.

NVMe drives run over PCIe so are incompatible with certain M.2 sockets (such as your 2nd, SATA-only one) and with most SATA connectors (exception being SATAe/SATA Express). So there's no way to get your NVMe drive to work on that machine except for a USB enclosure. You could get a SATA drive in the M.2 form factor and it would work fine, or if you have a 2.5" slot available a SATA drive would work there too. Unless I'm misunderstanding you.

To reiterate: if your intention is to get TWO NVMe (PCIe) drives...

USAFRet

Titan
If your laptop has only one NVMe capable M.2 port, you can use only one NVMe M.2 drive.
There is no magic to make it work with a M.2 SATA port.

Why do you need the 2x NVMe drives?
What are the specific drives in question? Make/model/size.

Hello everyone, I have a problem and wanted to ask for your opinions. I have bought an additional nvme SSD to my notebook which already had one nvme SSD. Problem is, Disk Management doesn't see the my new bought SSD but I can see it on Bios. Also seems that, my notebook has one m2 Nvme and one m2 SATA slots. I think this causes the problem. What can I do, I need to use both of the disks.

Get an enclosure for the second NVMe. Do you have 10 Gbps USB ports on the laptop? You can get an enclosure for ~$40. Alternatively, get a M.2 SATA SSD instead.

Reactions: Kiljaeden

USAFRet

Titan
I didn't ask for casting magic, I asked for an advice, if there is a problem, there can be a solution. If you don't have one, don't bother.
Let me clarify:
You have 1x NVMe drive.
Your laptop has 1x NVMe M.2 port.

What will the second NVMe drive do that a known compatible M.2 SATA drive can't do?

Advice would be to return the second NVMe drive, since your laptop cannot use it.
Get a SATA based M.2 drive. Same space, less money.

Jan 7, 2020
Let me clarify:
You have 1x NVMe drive.
Your laptop has 1x NVMe M.2 port.

What will the second NVMe drive do that a known compatible M.2 SATA drive can't do?

Advice would be to return the second NVMe drive, since your laptop cannot use it.
Get a SATA based M.2 drive. Same space, less money.
I asked the manufacturer before buying, and they said that it would be fine. Apparently it's not. Here in Turkey when you open the package, its not much possible to return what you have bought. Thanks anyways.

Jan 7, 2020
No problem. The most typical enclosures are the M2X and Plugable, in fact the former is $24.99 on Amazon right now. These use a simple bridge chip that can be found on many other products. It's limited to 10 Gbps.
Thanks, again, and this product looks just fine. I additionally want to ask you, if I use a m2 to SATA converter would it work? Because I have an empt SATA slot actually and using 256Gb one at slow speed is not problem for me.

NVMe drives run over PCIe so are incompatible with certain M.2 sockets (such as your 2nd, SATA-only one) and with most SATA connectors (exception being SATAe/SATA Express). So there's no way to get your NVMe drive to work on that machine except for a USB enclosure. You could get a SATA drive in the M.2 form factor and it would work fine, or if you have a 2.5" slot available a SATA drive would work there too. Unless I'm misunderstanding you.

To reiterate: if your intention is to get TWO NVMe (PCIe) drives to work on your laptop at once, most likely one of them will have to go over USB via enclosure. There are enclosures that convert M.2 SATA to USB which may be cheaper but these WILL NOT work with a NVMe drive. The enclosure I linked is your best bet for NVMe. I actually picked one up myself for review as $25 is its all-time low price.

Last edited:
Solution
Jan 7, 2020

To reiterate: if your intention is to get TWO NVMe (PCIe) drives to work on your laptop at once, most likely one of them will have to go over USB via enclosure. There are enclosures that convert M.2 SATA to USB which may be cheaper but these WILL NOT work with a NVMe drive. The enclosure I linked is your best bet for NVMe. I actually picked one up myself for review as $25 is it's all-time low price.
I meant the 2.5" SATA 3 port, but you were clear that Pci-e won't be compatible unless it's not SATA 3.2.

I meant the 2.5" SATA 3 port, but you were clear that Pci-e won't be compatible unless it's not SATA 3.2.

SATA Express can connect PCIe lanes but it's not common in laptops. That would be the only way, the interfaces (PCIe vs. SATA) are inherently incompatible. The reason an enclosure works is that you have a bridge chip (JMicron JMS583) that communicates between USB and PCIe and it passes SCSI commands (hence UASP) but this is a factor of USB flexibility.