[SOLVED] Two of my cpu threads fail in Prime95 Stress testing. What's happening?

MXGamer80

Reputable
Apr 23, 2017
So I went to overclock my Ryzen 5 3600 to 4.2GHz at 1.425 volts, and my LLC is on mode 5. I checked HWinfo and my SVI2 TFN Voltage seems fine (Max of 1.425 and Min of 1.412). My temps seemed cool not reaching over 64c, and no issues with any threads, it also ran stable. But then after about 5 to 6 minutes of stress testing, Prime95 detected some errors with workers 7 and 8. And in HWinfo threads 7 and 8 were dipping to 40 to 60 percent usage while the rest at 100 percent usage. My temperature for the cpu was also increasing pretty quickly, I stopped the test at 86c. And I also tried the CPU-Z Stress tester, and no isues were found while using that. Max temps with CPU-Z were 76.5c after 20 minutes of testing.

Here is what Prime95 workers 7 and 8 stated when the errors ocured:

7: FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4
8: FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 4956467556, expected less than 0.4

I was wondering if my voltages are bad, or if I should be on a different LLC mode?

My Specs:
Ryzen 5 3600
Adata XPG Z1 3200MHz OC DDR4 Ram (xmp is not selected)
MSI B450 Gaming Plus Mobo
HP S700 250GB Sata 3 SSD
WD Black 1TB 7200RPM HDD
XFX RX 580 8GB GTS Black Edition 1405MHz
Corsair Vengeance 650M 80+ Silver PSU

Solution
Your using 1.425V on a 7nm chip? Interesting...

You aren't going to like my answer. And worse, I can't find the links to back it up. But you have gone to high up with the Vcore. This is shown with the high temps you have. Ryzen isn't known for it's clock speed. Even the newest ones only show a slight improvement from the first gen ones. Tom's in their launch got most of theirs up to 3.9GHz. The newest ones seem to hit 4.1 or 4.2. ~300MHz. If you are hitting 85C+, or having to use the voltage found on the FX series, you are doing it wrong. And worse, we are starting to hear reports of Ryzen 2xxx CPUs dying. My advice is to keep the voltage <1.4V, and make sure temps don't go above 70C or so. Yes, this might mean you get...

4745454b

Titan

You aren't going to like my answer. And worse, I can't find the links to back it up. But you have gone to high up with the Vcore. This is shown with the high temps you have. Ryzen isn't known for it's clock speed. Even the newest ones only show a slight improvement from the first gen ones. Tom's in their launch got most of theirs up to 3.9GHz. The newest ones seem to hit 4.1 or 4.2. ~300MHz. If you are hitting 85C+, or having to use the voltage found on the FX series, you are doing it wrong. And worse, we are starting to hear reports of Ryzen 2xxx CPUs dying. My advice is to keep the voltage <1.4V, and make sure temps don't go above 70C or so. Yes, this might mean you get 3800 or 3900 instead of 4200MHz. But 300MHz isn't worth a dead chip.

Reactions: MXGamer80
Solution

MXGamer80

Reputable
Apr 23, 2017

You aren't going to like my answer. And worse, I can't find the links to back it up. But you have gone to high up with the Vcore. This is shown with the high temps you have. Ryzen isn't known for it's clock speed. Even the newest ones only show a slight improvement from the first gen ones. Tom's in their launch got most of theirs up to 3.9GHz. The newest ones seem to hit 4.1 or 4.2. ~300MHz. If you are hitting 85C+, or having to use the voltage found on the FX series, you are doing it wrong. And worse, we are starting to hear reports of Ryzen 2xxx CPUs dying. My advice is to keep the voltage <1.4V, and make sure temps don't go above 70C or so. Yes, this might mean you get 3800 or 3900 instead of 4200MHz. But 300MHz isn't worth a dead chip.
I had a feeling my voltages were to high. On an old thread I had I had a message say I might news higher voltages to run more stable. Is it possible to get 4.1ghz at 1.4 volts? Or even 4ghz running stable? Wait but how are some people getting to 4.2ghz? And what would explain the issues with prime95 I stated above?

I'm pretty sure AMD themselves have stated that 1.4v is a standard operating voltage for the Ryzen 3000 series. I would say that keeping voltages at 1.4V but maybe dialing back the overclock for stability would be a better option. That or go with what some others have said and simply use stock with PBO.