[SOLVED] Two of the SATA ports don't work

qorda

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2013
Hello all
Intel MBoard 2820h in my HP DC5800 has 4 Sata slots. Using this desktop for few years. When I tried to add an extra hard drive, I found that only two of them were functioning and these are already occupied by a hard drive and DVD drive, shown on device manager as sata controller 1-2921 and sata controller 2- 2926. The other two don't work and don't show up in device manager.
Pls advise

Solution
often some ports get shut down when certain features are used. look at the manual and see if something else is using the slots. for instance, many boards will disable 2 slots if you use the m.2 slot. other ways to use them as well.

may not be the problem but it is common enough to check out first before going nuts trying to figure it out

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
often some ports get shut down when certain features are used. look at the manual and see if something else is using the slots. for instance, many boards will disable 2 slots if you use the m.2 slot. other ways to use them as well.

may not be the problem but it is common enough to check out first before going nuts trying to figure it out

Reactions: SamirD
Solution

qorda

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2013
check if the devices you plugged in to the 3 port shows up in bios.
Not 3 but 2 ports, Hard drive 1 and DVD drive both
check if the devices you plugged in to the 3 port shows up in bios.

Yes DVD drive does show up in Bios but not in the device manager of windows XP or my computer (obviously). I have reinstalled my chipset driver but to no avail!

qorda

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2013

Thanks I reinstalled chipset driver then read the manual and followed exactly the advised configuration- optical drive in white port, hard drives in blue ports yet although the DVD drive shows in the BIOS, it doesn't in the device manager of win-xp!

TRENDING THREADS