Question Two OS on one computer with different drives

zplugger

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2008
Is anybody using to OS on one computer on different drives. I want to run Windows11 on Samsung 990 Pro and Windows11 on a 850 Pro drive. I will
switch between drives in Bios startup if possible. Using one for work and one for personal use. I have tried to do this with no luck, just wonder if someone else has done it.

zplugger

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2008
I install both OS with only one drive installed at a time. I can boot to the 990 a dozen times with no problems, then shutdown system. Start system back up and boot to the 850 drive no problems, can do the same a dozen times. Do another shut down and decide to boot to the 990 with no luck, blue screen of death. It will no longer boot to the 990 unless I reinstall windows. Thier is a conflict, and I just don't know where.

Is anybody using to OS on one computer on different drives. I want to run Windows11 on Samsung 990 Pro and Windows11 on a 850 Pro drive. I will
switch between drives in Bios startup if possible. Using one for work and one for personal use. I have tried to do this with no luck, just wonder if someone else has done it.

Yes it's possible, doing exactly this with W11 on a Samsung 980 Pro NVME and W10 on a Sabrent Rocket NVME. Works perfectly.

This works fine for me, so I'd be checking the integrity of that 990 Pro. Sounds like something may be wrong with it.

If you try to do it with both drives installed then the boot manager can't tell the two version apart and will only show one boot option.

Correct. Plus, Windows will likely put crucial boot files on the drive you're NOT installing the OS to, meaning disconnection of that second drive will result in Windows not booting.

The way the OP has suggested is the best way to dual boot in my opinion.

zplugger

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2008
Have it working perfect now, had to clear cmos and redo boot order in bios. Not sure what was wrong but right now working, I can boot to either drive
on startup without problems. Now I have work computer and personal computer on one computer. Just hope someday ASrock will have quicker boot up, 14 sec is to long. Guess
its the 32 gig of DDR5. Happy camper now that Excel opens in a instant.

Normally, if you use sleep to ram or fast boot, the windows you want to use is already loaded.
With alternating versions of the nucleus, you have to load all the windows components each time you change.
Not much you can do about it.
A fast ssd helps.
In task manager look at the startup tab.
It should tell you how long the last bios time was.

Aug 1, 2022
Just hope someday ASrock will have quicker boot up, 14 sec is to long.

I think a lot of systems allow you to configure this one way or another, its usually entirely possible to disable the motherboard BIOS splash screen completely (no recommended if you cant remember the key combo to enter BIOS) or at least set it to ~3s or less

try Googling it and you will likely find solutions easily