Two parter question I need help with before a purchase!

NotsogoodwithPCs

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2015
Hello everyone! I have a quick question I need answering from a couple people here before I purchase much needed upgrades for my pc.

First off, I need to know if Corsair Vengeance LPX 16gb 2400 mhz will be compatible with ASRock Z370M Pro4 LGA 1151 because it apparently wasn't listed on the AsRock website for whatever reason although every other one was.

Also, on the ASRock Z370M Pro4 LGA 1151 mobo, it doesn't have a Power Fan Connector and I was wondering if i could use one of the CPU fans as a substitute considering both of my case fans are being used and only one of the CPU fans would be occupied by my Hyper Evo 212.

I'd very much appreciate the help! :)

Solution

Okay so, if you connect one of your CPU fans to the CPU fan connector, the speed of that fan will be controlled by the temperature of the CPU. It doesn't matter if the fan is not on the cooler itself, so yes, you can take out one of the CPU cooler fans, and use it as a case fan(I think when you say 'power fans', you mean case fans, right? There's no such thing as power fans - there are connectors on motherboard called...
Yes, the RAM is compatible - not all RAM sticks are listed in memory supports lists, they only list the ones they have specifically tested with the motherboard, not all of the compatible ones. But the kit will work just fine.

And yes, the case fan can be connected to the CPU fan header, no problems there either, though a splitter might be a better idea, otherwise the case fan you connect to the CPU fan header will be controlled through CPU temperature - it will speed up if the CPU is hot, and slow down if the CPU is cool.

NotsogoodwithPCs

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2015

And what will getting a splitter necessarily do to fix that issue for my Power Fan? Also could you possibly recommend one so I could purchase if needed be :)

Wait, now that I read it more carefully, I'm not sure I understand the problem. Are you short on headers for the fan, or are you short on number of case fans? If you are short on fan headers, that's when the splitter will help. If you are short on case fans, why don't you just purchase another one? If you can't, then yes the CPU cooler fan will also work as a substitute, if that's what you were suggesting.

NotsogoodwithPCs

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2015

I'm short on case fans because I already have 2 case fans using the only 2 ports the motherboards has. So I was wondering if I could use one of the CPU fans (considering it has 2) as one of my Power Fans or if I simply should get a splitter like you suggested considering they're all case fans regardless correct?

NotsogoodwithPCs

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2015

I'm short on case fans because I already have 2 case fans using the only 2 ports the motherboards has. So I was wondering if I could use one of the CPU fans (considering it has 2) as one of my Power Fans or if I simply should get a splitter like you suggested considering they're all case fans regardless correct?

Okay so, if you connect one of your CPU fans to the CPU fan connector, the speed of that fan will be controlled by the temperature of the CPU. It doesn't matter if the fan is not on the cooler itself, so yes, you can take out one of the CPU cooler fans, and use it as a case fan(I think when you say 'power fans', you mean case fans, right? There's no such thing as power fans - there are connectors on motherboard called PWR_FAN, but those were once meant for power supply fans, but since no power supply needs those anymore, you can use them for case fans).

So, if you have a PWR_FAN connector free, you can absolutely use that for your case fans, no need for a splitter. And if you think one fan is enough for your CPU cooler, then you can use the second fan as a case fan as well. Hopefully this is what you were asking about.

Solution