Two PC in a network, they connect only one at a time

Oct 20, 2018
Hello, I'm really confused by this and it's weeks that I'm looking for answers. I'm kinda desperate.

Situation: two Windows 10 PC connected to a simple 5-ports switch connected to a Qnap NAS.

Individually, they connect flawlessy to the NAS, using two different static IPs in a 192.168.2.X configuration.

They also connect to the internet wirelessly using a DHCP router that's not having any issue (and it's in a 192.168.1.X network).

Issue: they are unable to connect at the same time to the NAS network using file explorer. The only (awkward and slow) way is to manually enter the NAS IP in the browser and use the NAS interface for everything. The fact that the NAS is available via browser means (I suppose) that the interface is correctly configured but for some reason this configuration does not work for Windows file explorer.

Thank you so much

Solution

You have to enter it with the backslashes:

\\192.168.2.3
Oct 20, 2018

Could you or someone else explain why this happens? I mean: the connection actually works but only via browser, what's "breaking" the connection in Windows file explorer?

Thanks!

BuddhaSkoota

Admirable

Just to clarify, you have 2 PC's and a Qnap connected to a switch, and all 3 have an IP address of 192.168.2.x?

Did you try to type the IP address of the Qnap in the address bar of File Explorer (\\192.168.2.x), and then map the drive?

USAFRet

Titan

And from his original, I thought it was:
QNAP->switch->2PC's.
Which may or may not mean the Qnap is doing DHCP duty.

Clarification needed.

BuddhaSkoota

Admirable

Right, was trying to figure out the "why" of this setup. I'm assuming OP is trying to keep the Qnap private on own wired network, while maintaining Internet access via wireless.

USAFRet

Titan

And properly set up, a Qnap is private on an internal LAN, and accessible by all other devices on that LAN.
Mine is...:ange:

Oct 20, 2018

Yes, I had too many external hard drives, I needed a very big one to share with another PC and with an Android tv box, without any possible external access (that's not possible anyway because there's no wired Internet here, only 4G with a limited amount of traffic per day). The Android mini-pc has no issue, apparently, so it's a Windows problem.

If I write 192.168.2.3 (the Qnap IP) in the file explorer address bar, it opens Firefox so I'm stuck with the Qnap operating system in-the-browser.

If I activate the DHCP server on the Qnap it correctly assign two different IPs at the two PCs but it does not resolve the issue: they can't both see the Qnap in file explorer at the same time.

Thanks for all the replies! ^__^

BuddhaSkoota

Admirable

You have to enter it with the backslashes:

\\192.168.2.3

Solution
Oct 20, 2018

Nailed it! Thank you :) Funny that Windows still does not see any NAS in the Network folder but simply writing the NAS address make all its folders reachable. Is this a bug or is it my configuration still not completely right?

BuddhaSkoota

Admirable

Not necessarily a bug; I believe it's just the way Windows treats a PC with multiple network interfaces, with one as the primary.