[SOLVED] Two PCs, One Printer

SuzeC

Commendable
Jan 31, 2021
Can I connect two desktop computers to a Samsung ML-1740 laser printer if I use separate cables, one via a parallel and one an optical?

Solution
I looked at the Samsung ML-1740 online, at the back, and it looks like it has an optical port. The printer sits in a low bookcase, PITA to pull it out to look but I will.

OK, I looked and the port I thought was an optical has a male plug that's small and kind of square. Is that considered a USB? The parallel is available. Is a very old parallel cable suitable?
While that port may look like "optical", it is a USB port.

Interface Parallel, USB

kanewolf

Titan
Can I connect two desktop computers to a Samsung ML-1740 laser printer if I use separate cables, one via a parallel and one an optical?
Your inputs are USB and parallel. I think you could use both to different computers, but I am not sure. Have you checked to see if your router supports a USB printer? That would allow your entire network to use the printer.

carocuore

Respectable
Jan 24, 2021
Your inputs are USB and parallel. I think you could use both to different computers, but I am not sure. Have you checked to see if your router supports a USB printer? That would allow your entire network to use the printer.

This or you could share the printer via a home network if the computers are using Windows.

SuzeC

Commendable
Jan 31, 2021
My newer PC would support a WiFi connected printer. I read the instructions on how to do that. I'm much more comfortable dealing with hardware than I am configuring firmware. Or maybe I mean software. Not sure the Samsung printer has WiFi capability.

SuzeC

Commendable
Jan 31, 2021

I looked at the Samsung ML-1740 online, at the back, and it looks like it has an optical port. The printer sits in a low bookcase, PITA to pull it out to look but I will.

OK, I looked and the port I thought was an optical has a male plug that's small and kind of square. Is that considered a USB? The parallel is available. Is a very old parallel cable suitable?

USAFRet

Titan

While that port may look like "optical", it is a USB port.

Interface Parallel, USB

Solution