Two PCs Were Stolen From Developer at Gamescom

Status
Not open for further replies.

aftcomet

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
There is nothing I hate more in the world than thieves. Working hard for something, spending a part of yourself so you can get it, and some scumbag just comes and takes it.

QEFX

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2007
[citation][nom]aftcomet[/nom]There is nothing I hate more in the world than thieves. Working hard for something, spending a part of yourself so you can get it, and some scumbag just comes and takes it.[/citation]

Agreed, and yet all we do is give them a slap on the hand and send them back out to do it again. Not a huge fan of some "middle eastern" laws, but that cutting off of hands for thieves works for me.

kcorp2003

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]QEFX[/nom]Agreed, and yet all we do is give them a slap on the hand and send them back out to do it again. Not a huge fan of some "middle eastern" laws, but that cutting off of hands for thieves works for me.[/citation]

lol i'm sure the music and movie industry, and software companies feels the same way ^^

officeguy

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2009
"We're asking the game community to band together to track these criminals down and to get the games back!" Who cares about the PC's, we just want the games back. Of course if it were my PC, since I am the end user, I would want the PC back not necessarily the games that were on it back.

buckcm

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2009
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]Anyone want to bet how long it takes for the games to appear on Bit-torrent or get pasted into another game?[/citation]

You're too late.

gamoniac

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2011
[citation][nom]danwat1234[/nom]They should all have IP tracking software ... BOINC, no-ip, DynDNS. Though anybody at that event would know to disable the wifi/4g after stealing.[/citation]

The thieves are probably more interested in the software than bringing the PC online. So, as long as they stay offline, you can't track them easily. Perhaps one way to counter thievery like this is to require the user to get online in order to boot up even the developer version of the game, besides the obvious approach of authentication and source code obfuscation on the machine.

[citation][nom]aftcomet[/nom]There is nothing I hate more in the world than thieves. Working hard for something, spending a part of yourself so you can get it, and some scumbag just comes and takes it.[/citation]

You wouldn't steal a car...

masterbinky

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2010
[citation][nom]kcorp2003[/nom]lol i'm sure the music and movie industry, and software companies feels the same way ^^[/citation]
They can feel the same way about something being stolen, but a fundamental part of having something stolen, is that you no longer have it. Copies are inherently different even if it still hurts their feelers. Copying without permission is infringement not theft. Even though the colloquial use is theft, example: If someone actually stole your idea, you would no longer have that idea , If they copied your idea, you still have that idea. It's a big difference and while acceptable for a child to make the mistake, I'd be embarrassed as an adult that speaks for a company, to have the limited vocabulary of a child.

internetlad

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
[citation][nom]boiler1990[/nom]You wouldn't steal a car...[/citation]

You wouldn't steal a handbag. You wouldn't steal a car. You wouldn't steal a baby. You wouldn't shoot a policeman. And then steal his helmet. You wouldn't go to the toilet in his helmet. And then send it to the policeman's grieving widow. And then steal it again! Downloading films is stealing. If you do it, you will face the consequences.

Anyways, I would rather that the stolen PC had alphas of HL3 or something. MAN that would be juicy.

In either case I strongly dislike thieves, and this is no exception. We take thievery too lightly in todays society. I'm not saying we should start lopping off hands, but what happens today is a slap on the wrist.

mleejr

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
[citation][nom]dimar[/nom]No security cameras?[/citation]

My first thought! How the hell? Cameras are freaking everywhere now. They even have camera's literally up people's a$$es. How the farg is this dude not on a camera somewhere. I'll tell you...cops are lazy bums.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]beetlejuicegr[/nom]Ok i can only imagine the "ROFL" if this thief calls the developer and demand a patch! for the bugs of the alpha games he stole![/citation]

if i was at the convention, and played the alpha, i would so do that just because i think it would be funny.

yea i have a twisted sense of humor, but tell me that wouldnt be funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.