Two power supplies powering 1 system?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
I feel compelled to address niklep's post and subsequent defense.
The only one that gets screwed by the OP not posting his specs is the OP, because he is the one that will get poor advice. It appears that you were pissed off because you wanted to know his specs for curiosity sake. And for that you went on a rant and flamed the OP. When you were called on the fact that you were acting like a ten year old child, you back peddled. It doesn't matter how many posts you have. You embarrassed yourself, I suggest you take a chill pill.

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007

Woahhh blue smoke? im there...is that like a cool mod?

EDIT: jtt283 you made a booboo in your rig HD3780?

shall1990

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
My power supply is an 600w Ultra XFinity There are two 12v rails. +12V1 is 18A, +12V2 is 20A.

sorry

Gigabyte P35 DS3L
Intel core 2 duo E6750
8800GTS 320mb
Sound Blaster Audigy 4

According to the PNY technitian,

"But one thing concerns us, this card requieres 26Amps onthe 12 volt rail. You fall short on your power supply for this.
Try using just the Harddrive which Windows boots of, and disconect every other device, DVD CD Fans etc.
Just power the cpu fan, video card and main hardrive and test again. If it works this way, then the issue is power only."

So I tried what he requested and it worked, oh, my problem was changing a game's settings like resolution, the game would lock up.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
This is from the specs of the from PNY's website.
A minimum 400W system power supply (with 12V current rating of 26A)

That is 26A on the combined 12V rails. You can't just add the rails together to determine this, but I am certain that the specs on that PSU is more than 26A on the combined rails.

The problem is that the Ultra XFinity is a tier 4 PSU. This means that it is one tier from the bottom of the list.
See Official XS Tiered PSU Manufacturer Brand Listing Phase III.

I suspect that there is something wrong with it as well, because even though it is a low quality PSU, it should still be able to power your system.

Rather than try to run PSU's in tandem, I would opt for a new one. This of course assumes that you have the cash.

What is the Brand and model of the 450W PSU that you have? And do you have the cash for a good High quality PSU?

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007

For the record
http://www.ultraproducts.com/product_details.php?cPath=52&pPath=383&productID=388
This shows 420w on combined 12v rails... = 35amps. I think the PNY tech has no idea.

In saying that though Zorg is right the is more than likely something wrong with the PSU. If you can buy a new quality one Corsair 520HX comes to mind.

shall1990

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
It's a Codegen 450W, I don't even see that brand on that site's list.

+12V is 16A

------

With my current PSU, would switching up the molex plugs work?

shall1990

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
I may have a little over 100 for a new PSU after Christmas considering I still have last minute Christmas shopping to do.

Severely disappointed, my local computer store recommended this power supply for my system. Wish I came here first.

Currently it isn't the biggest deal, but I mod a game called bf1942 which requires opening and closing the game, this will practically lock up the system about the 7th time doing so.

I"m also afraid to buy online, I bought a PSU online from zipzoomfly and it was DOA, And I recieved 0 customer support. impossible to get a refund or a replacement!

Thats 1 amp more then the 250watt i have in the closet.... In its defense it runs a E6600 and low end video just fine... :)

I have seen too many Ultra PSU's mess up. just replace it...I suggest a good 500-600 watt only to get max efficiency out of it. Your system should draw 250-300 max.....

Corsair has a nice picture of the efficiency of PSU's, not quite accurate but gives you the right idea of why a half loaded psu saves you power :)
clipboard08zi7.gif

A test done on SPCR
clipboard05ol3.gif

the 250-300watt zone is perfect on this psu.....well near perfect for a machine with your configuration....you may even be under 250....if your not over clocking and depending on other hardware like HDD's....but from 200-300 this thing is perfect for your system...

With you budget....hmmm lets see

Seasonic S12II 430W - 30 Amps
Antec Earthwatts 430W - 30 Amps on the 12 volt rail(s) - on sale often
Corsair CMPSU-450VX - 33 Amps on the 12 volt rail
OCZ StealthXStream OCZ500SXS - They are unclear.... 30+ they have all the voltages rail combine.....so i assume the less 5 and 3.3 you use the more 12 you get....up to a point....
Zippy HG2-6400P - 12V @ 30 Amps on the 12 volt rail

the top 3 are all Seasonics.... Either way there are lots of PSU's around just make sure you get enough on the 12 volts rail,

I am more brave with my own stuff....
E6600 + X1900XT(similar power to your system) on a 380 watt antec with 18 amps :)

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Yup, they screwed you. In their defense, they probably didn't know any better.

Below is a short list of my preferences for your budget in order of highest to lowest. These are all single rail solid PSUs, with plenty of 12V current. There are plenty of other good PSUs out there so this list is not exhaustive by any means. I'm sure others will post their preferences. If you choose a different PSU be sure to check the listing linked above and additionally see if it is reviewed on jonnyguru. Here is a link to the search page on his website. Newegg is very good about DOA parts, that's why they charge a little more sometimes.

PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610 12V @ 49A
CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 12V @ 41A
CORSAIR CMPSU-520HX 12V @ 40A
CORSAIR CMPSU-450VX 12V @ 33A

coldneutron

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
Your power supply has 2 PCIE connectors, each on a separate 12V rail. Your video card only has 1 PCIE power connector. Try switching the PCIE power connector on the video card to the other one. One of the 2 rails also powers the cpu. If this is the same rail as the connector on the video card it could draw near the max. power of the rail and cause the problem.

shall1990

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007

I will go try that out now!

edit:

So far so good! Thank you so much :D! And many thanks to everyone else!

I will tell news after a day or two!

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Another PSU that claims to comply with ATX 12V Ver. 2.2 specs, but doesn't. I wonder if any PSU manufacturers comply with it anymore. I guess we can just throw ATX12V Ver. 2.2 out the window.

kherova

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2010
I just wanted to give those curious another reason why someone would want 2 psu. I am upgrading my rig, so I am trying to keep as much as the old stuff as I can, so I can put my money twards the new stuff I need. I have a bunch of psu's, but they all tend to be smaller because they are from sff (small form factor) rigs. The only one with SATA is 110w so I want to have that run the drives, and a bigger one run other stuff.

kherova

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2010
Also, I know the war in this tread is over, but I wanted to throw in my 2 cents because this is my second post to the forum. :) Seems to me that people shouldn't be too concerned about people who don't have many posts giving their opinion. Everyone is entitled to what they think even if they only post one comment in their lives. You may not lend much weight to their opinion if you feel they haven't earned it (and that is your right), but that doesn't mean they don't have a right to express it. It is a dangerous slope when you start holding a price for admission to be legitimate at a certain amount/quality of posts.
I can understand about the desire for a sense of community, but it has to balance with the needs of casual posters. If they only post one thing, but it helps someone out 3 years down the line, then the post has purpose. As long as you have a core set of users doing activities you believe to support your idea of community then there will be one, and the periphery of strangers won't do anything to take away from that core (will actually add some flavor to it). After all, if you just wanted was pure community, you could just im/pm your friends all day. A true community has people who don't act or feel the same way you do, and you have to find a way to live with them too.

Status
Not open for further replies.