two power supplies?

arnold873

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2005
is it possible to use two power supplies?
will any case allow this?
i was interested in
building a pc with the asus a8n sli deluxe mother board and i thought the dual geforce 6800 would draw too much power
so i figured i could add another power supply?

Yuo can, but it would be messy, and potensially dangerous. I think it has some think to do with the green wire coming from the PSU to the M/b.

To make your life easier, I'd say get a really good bandname 50 - 600 PSU

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
Adding another powersupply is only really needed (or a good idea) when you have an extremely large array of hard drives. Hard drives don't need to spin up imediatly so you can easily put a separate psu for them and your system. Again, this is only a good idea if you have a huge array of them not just a couple.
Just get that thermaltake 680watt psu. That should be enough for any sort of desktop system.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>

arnold873

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2005
the only reason i`m bringing this up is because i`ve been reading lately that people are losing voltage to their video cards and the games start locking up on them
i figured i can use two neo powers and connect only the wires i need, which would be a lot of 5v wires
i don`t think this would be dangerous since components sometimes have secondary voltage inputs
all connections have to be grounded

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
It is probably do-able.

I would set up a relay on one of the primary PSU's Molex's that will close when power goes on and shorts out the appropriate wire on the mobo connector on the 2nd PSU. I think (though am not certain) that you short the green wire to ground. That way both PSU's will turn on with the case switch and you have access to both sets of voltage rails.

Gah, now I'm not sure... I know the above is incomplete, there's another step involved, but I'm pretty sure it involves just 1 more step, I just don't know what it is. It may be that you short the green wire always, and put the relay to a different wire on the mobo connector... I don't recall... Google it and see?

Mike.

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
Your right about the 680W they are some bad boys. You wouldnt beleive how quite mine is. I can honestly say that is right in line with noise level of the Antecs and you know how quite they are. The other thing is the fact that it doesnt have to work very hard and puts off very little heat compared to the other one I have.

READ THE STICKY AND WIN A PRIZE! ALL PRIZES CAN BE CLAIMED IN THE SECTION TITLED "THE OTHER"

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
Yes it is very doable, but it is not the way to go. Your asking for trouble, headaches, and a big mess. If your that hung up on this idea then find a redundant unit. This would be a much better solution, however a waste of money. Just buy the Thermaltake 680W its the BIG man on the block at this time. No PSU that I know of will perform with this monster.

READ THE STICKY AND WIN A PRIZE! ALL PRIZES CAN BE CLAIMED IN THE SECTION TITLED "THE OTHER"

arnold873

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2005
first of all i have to thank everyone in this forum for being so helpful i`m glad to see there is a forum such as this outthere

in any case, i see people are reccomending the thermaltake psu, i know very little of this company but will certainly try them out. I was kinda hung up on getting a antec because i trust this company and toms as well as others highly reccomend them

do you guys think a 550watt true power antec is enough for:

asus a8n sli deluxe dual graphics MB
2gb memory
athlon fx-55
2 geforce 6800 sli
as many as 4 hd`s possible 10k rpm
2 optical
and like 6-8 fans?

the reason i`m so hung up on this issue is i feel the 939 pin configuration of this MB will lend to upgrades later on such as dual and quad core athlons
and i think they will be pretty power hungry

thanks

arnold

RichPLS

Champion
I would go with the ThermalTake 680, a much better choice with no question of power limitations.

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
I have no problems with the Antec PSU. It will probably do the job just fine. I have an Antec on another system, so I can certainly feel good telling you that it is a solid choice. Here is something else to consider. There is no doubt that with the setup that you are running that you need a high end PSU. When I read your specs agian I saw something that I didnt see the last time I read your specs. The SLI part. This would make me lean even harder towards the Thermaltake 680W. I dont know if I mentioned this, but it not only has the split rails but it also has a 3rd 12V rail. Not just 2, it has 3 +12V rails. If you still arent sure and want some more data, I suppose that I could probably e-mail you some of the logs that I have kept of my 680W. I have been recording the constant output of each rail for over 2 weeks now. Its amazing to me how stable this PSU is. It puts off less heat than my other PSU's because it doesnt have to work nearly as hard.

arnold873

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2005
hey i think you sold me on the 680 watt psu
i went to thermaltakes website and was very impressed with the level of detail they took on illustrating their psu
antecs site on the other hand was almost impossible to figure out what psu came with what wires. their 550 watt said in the manual came with certain leads but then the illustrations showed something different. i sent them an e-mail to this fact.
the thermaltake 680 comes with all the leads i need the 24 lead and 4 lead as well as pci e cables and plenty of 4 lead hd wires
the think looks sick and appears to be well made
the only reason i had any reservations on the power supply is because i have no prior info on this company
and toms also rated antec as the best
i`m still unclear if i need a atx 12v 2.03
psu but this one by thermal take appears to be one
the only thing i don`t like though is this thing is very very expensive for a psu like 180

thanks

p.s. when does my status change from stanger to newbie?
and do you work for themaltake?

RichPLS

Champion
I will be ordering that TT 680watter also... You were talking about getting two PSU's, the way I see it, this thing is like two PSU's.
Antec's are great, I have one now, but I want the extra reserve power that this TT has...

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
.s. when does my status change from stanger to newbie?
and do you work for themaltake?
Your status will cnge very shortly, check the FAQ it tells you the post count marks.

LOL No I dont work for Thermaltake, but thats funny. Im always accusing people for working for a company.

The price is a little hard to stomach, but I am more satisfied with my PSU than any other component in my system. From a performance point of view.

It look sharp as he.. The finish is cool.