two proc boards

G

Ok peeps,
i need some help here is there a board on the market{uk}, that will take two intel processers but not of the same type,I.E my PIII 800 {133} and say a celeron 500 {66}.
all the boards i've looked at same to only take PIII's and they dont say if they have to be matched.
many thanks

HamsterSlayer

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
When configuring a multiprocessor system, the CPU's have to be EXACTLY alike.
Thus, you cannot run you Celeron together with your Pentium III.
You may even experience situations where two apparently identical CPU's won't run together. That is because there are often a lot of different versions of the "same" CPU.
I don't know about the new processors, but I once read that, according to Intel, there are more than 10 different versions of the Pentium II 350Mhz. Those are just small differences though, and none of us would ever notice them, but it is enough to make multiprocessing difficult hard to come by if you are in bad luck.

There is a good chance that if you bought a PIII 800 six months ago, it won't be identical to the ones in stores now, even though they have the same specs.

G

i agree.
i have heard that if you want a mp system that you need to buy both cpus at the same time

who is more foolish...
the fool, or the fool that takes his advice?

G

Tyan make really good boards for dual processors, use dual p3's if you want a dual sys, be aware that not all os support dual processors, Win 98 and Me for example dont, NT and Win2000 do, Im not sure about Linux.