Two Project Valerie Prototypes Stolen From CES, Razer Offers Reward For Return

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff Fx

Reputable
Jan 2, 2015
I was going to turn the thief in, but nah.

Razer, in its sole discretion, will decide who is entitled to a reward and in what amount. Razer may pay only a portion of the maximum reward offered.

@Jeff FX, I've got to agree, there are more caveat's on that statement / reward then I've ever seen for a reward. They definitely must have had a lawyer write that. I'm sure they have good intentions, but it sure reads like they don't want to pay out anything.

nycalex

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2009
who's the scumbag that steals prototypes?

what is the world coming to? jesus!

btw, i got a laptop with 3 screens if anyone is interested. it's a little on the heavy side and not too portable, but it has 3 screens.......

IslandFarmer

Commendable
Jan 9, 2017
It would be hilarious if the theives went through their support and RMA process to give the laptops back. If they even accepted the return the laptops wouldn't be back in the R&D department's hands for months!

Jokes aside my experience with Razer as a company has been horrible. Their sales, rebates, shipping and support procedures seem just as criminal as stealing laptops. I don't care how nice their laptops are I'm never buying one again.

Jay_29

Reputable
Dec 30, 2015
This feels more like a publicity stunt than theft. It's okay though, those laptops will go defective within 30 days, rendering them worthless.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009

Considered stealing a great many things and it all comes down to one thing, either you install software on the device to track it, which is removed with a format and now just looks like any other device, or you have something physical in it, and that is either very short range or easily removed.

Put the device in a faraday bag till you figure out what to do, pretty much makes everything untrackable, and once you are out of the country, sell it.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009

8 mice in 4 years.

each one the laser died, each one was at least a 2 week wait useing a crap mouse in the interim. now useing a logitech g600 and as crap as the software is, it works after what... 2 or 3 years of use.

And by the time you've gone through all that you'd be lucky to make a profit. The only logical explanation would be corporate espionage or dumb hick thinking he could sell it for a quick buck. If you are going to go through all the effort to get into CES, steal the laptop, and get out of the country you might as well just work a day job because the pay is going to be just as good.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009

I have seen the floors of ces, you play around with the laptop and have someone else help, when they are swamped, you retract the screens so if anyone looks it would look like you are testing it out, and when you think you can get away with it, calmly unplug it and put it in a bag and walk away, you may want to wear a razor shirt if you do this with razor logos. Its honestly shocking how often people don't think twice if you look like you are meant to be there.

now its getting it out of the country, and into one where us extradition wont happen for the sale, and depending on the buyer, you could see a significant amount of money, round trip to china (furthest i can think of from the us) is around 1200$, each laptop would sell for 2000 minimum, and depending on the buyer, significantly more. unless razor can remote brick which they most likely can't, there you go.

every time I watch a video about human engineering I feel like a sucker for not doing it myself because it's so easy and all you have to do is stay calm.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009

Assuming you are talking about me, so long as what I write isn't completely borked by typos and the point what I wrote gets the message across that's where my ability to care ends. I don't get paid to write perfectly.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
It must've been locked, though. And they said it was during booth teardown. So, the thief probably struck at a time when the laptops were already unlocked and put into a bag or box of some sort.

Because the videos you see are of when it works. But it's not risk free, and if you get caught you're likely busted. No need to be tempted. Assuming you're not already a criminal, just remind yourself that's how you'd like to remain. Even if you don't get caught, it's easier to sleep, at night. And if you do get caught, good luck ever getting a decent job.

Relax. I think Silly is pretty clearly referring to the reward notice from Razer.

blackbit75

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2010
It is sad to see people doing this kind of things like stealing devices in a place to show innovation. The more I know people, the more I love animals.

sillynilly

Reputable
Jan 6, 2016

Actually I wasn't - I poorly wrote my message. I mean to say poorly written reward notice. My crappy message got all bugged up. Just so you know it isn't all about you! :D :p

Status
Not open for further replies.