[SOLVED] Two quick questions about finicky power cable

Mar 13, 2020
Hi, I am sorry to ask these questions as I think I know the answer, but I suffer from OCD and it helps to have some reassurance.

i don’t have PSU problems as far as when my PC is on. No blue screens, no random shut offs. There are a few quirks with it I want to ask though.

my first question is that my power plug to the PSU seems a bit sensitive. Like I bumped it a little when plugging in my DisplayPort today and it shut off my PC. Are power plugs kind of finicky? Otherwise, if I were to move my case slightly on my desk it won’t cut the power.

Secondly, there’s a brief second or two when I’m putting the plug in where I hear a small electrical sound coming from the plug when it’s not turned on yet but while I’m putting it into the socket. Like when you touch something staticy - that sort of sound. Its Not always doing it does that but sometimes. I think my concern is similar to this user’s but I am doubting myself. https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/electric-noise-when-plugging-in-power-cable-to-psu.2792543/. Is that bad? Or is everything normal?

Last edited:
Solution
Make sure power cable connector-plug is pushed all the way in to the PSU socket by pushing the front of the PC case in the opposing direction while you push the plug in. They can be rather a tight-fit so you could think it's plugged in all the way when it isn't. I've experienced that myself, usually with new PC or when you replace the power cable.
Make sure power cable connector-plug is pushed all the way in to the PSU socket by pushing the front of the PC case in the opposing direction while you push the plug in. They can be rather a tight-fit so you could think it's plugged in all the way when it isn't. I've experienced that myself, usually with new PC or when you replace the power cable.

Solution
Mar 13, 2020

okay I will do that thanks! One last question, is the small sound when I plug my PC in fine? I toggle the PSU off first so I don’t know if the small little sound is because there’s still residual power in the PSU or the cable, or if the PSU is faulty. Again though, I have not experienced problems with the PSU otherwise

TRENDING THREADS