Question Two RAM keeps pc restarting

Oct 24, 2020
Hello,

im writting here becouse I dont know who can I turn to.

Topic : New PC keeps restarting if 2 rams are slotted.

Story :
1 week ago i assembled my own pc totally new. I had some troubles with water cooler display not working so i returned it and not turn on pc for a week. Everything else was working normally. Could play games for 3 hours and all perfectly fine.

Yesterday I got the new kraken z73 replaced becouse the previous one wasnt working as intended and now if both Corsair Vengeance 2x8gb are slotted.. it keeps restarting.

It only boots with 1 stick in the second slot from the left. The MB is Z390 Gaming X rev 1.1.

What i tried :
- reseated each ram in the 2nd slot and it works
-played arround with XMP with 1 stick and it works
Anything with 2 sticks doesnt work.

The rams were bought in the same package.

What did go wrong after I only replaced same water cooler for cpu and everything else leave intact. I have read that some CPU pins might not be straight but i didnt try that yet as i really dont want to install the pump for the 4th time.

I also came across an error while booting and it showed me options to boot with optimized bios which I did and it did not help.

Please help wanted as I have no clue as to what to do.

Regards

Oct 24, 2020
I tested with 2 ram sticks - keeps restarting and then i take it out and i got message bios has been reseted. And also Boot failure detected - and options boot optimized bios and boot or that and reboot or enter bios.

I have tried putting voltage to q. 350 manually and also manually 3200mhr with 1 stick it works. not with 2 sticks.

I have no clue why is this happening since it was working 2 weeks ago with XMP on.

Oct 24, 2020
If your ram is not on the memory QVL then it won't be guaranteed to work all the time.
That sounds really strange tho becouse i have never encountered that and I am a IT enginer.

Yiu sure its not some timings in the bios or something like that? I didnt explore that much about ram stuff soo im not really sure...

Any other tips that might help?

Also - why does it work with one stick? Shouldnt then not be working at all?

SteveRX4

Notable
BANNED
Sep 29, 2020
See https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ddr-dram-myths,4155.html#p6

You can't just put any old ram in a PC and expect it to work.
This is why motherboard manufacturers test ram to determine whether it will wortk with their motherboard. Sometimes it will only work with certain CPUs on the motherboard.

There might be a one stick of your ram on the memory QVL. Or it might not work in all conditions.

As ram gets faster, the motherboards have t be more finicky with what they say can be used.
Quite often the ram won't work till the bios resets the timings.
Sometimes it won't work with XMP enabled.
or, like mine, it's near impossible to overclock or improve the timings.

Oct 24, 2020
See https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ddr-dram-myths,4155.html#p6

You can't just put any old ram in a PC and expect it to work.
This is why motherboard manufacturers test ram to determine whether it will wortk with their motherboard. Sometimes it will only work with certain CPUs on the motherboard.

There might be a one stick of your ram on the memory QVL. Or it might not work in all conditions.

As ram gets faster, the motherboards have t be more finicky with what they say can be used.
Quite often the ram won't work till the bios resets the timings.
Sometimes it won't work with XMP enabled.
or, like mine, it's near impossible to overclock or improve the timings.
Its not old mb or ram both is new and bought together...
Like i said it worked with both rams and same mb with xmp on 2 weeks ago. I did noticed that it was restarting somewhat but it worked in the end.

SteveRX4

Notable
BANNED
Sep 29, 2020
It needs to work reliavbly. If you don't have memory from the QVL, then there's no guarantee that it will work reliably.
You should be able to stick all the ram in the correct slots and the ram should work at stock speeds and with xmp enabled.

Oct 24, 2020
It needs to work reliavbly. If you don't have memory from the QVL, then there's no guarantee that it will work reliably.
You should be able to stick all the ram in the correct slots and the ram should work at stock speeds and with xmp enabled.
Was i that unlucky that i legit bought uncompatable rams?

Sorry but f... me on that one

Oct 24, 2020
Did you bump the ram when playing with the cooler? XCheck that the ram is fully in the slots.
I dont think so.. The rams are fully in with clicks at the end like i said..
Both rams work in one slot while any any of the rams in the most right slot it goes into restarting loop and i also see the POST light while that... like it cant go beyond POST..

Oct 24, 2020
Have you tried actually clearing/reseting bios to default by removing the Battery (aka cmos) to fully reset the bios.
Another thing might be the CPU is overtightnen it doesnt make good contact or its loose. I had that issue with my Cryorig Cooler.
I havent tried clearing CMOS / removing battery. The mb did however reseted bios on its own after it couldnt boot.
About the overthighted well I could try to losen it up a little bit or remove the cpu to check if theres any bent pins.
Did not realize that those things might be the problem... will try

Oct 24, 2020
I cleared cmos changed rams aga8n in the working slot aka second slot from tle left and it normally works. I think it might be something wromg with the slot and not the stick. Havent checked cpu bent pins yet. Could it be static or smh like that?

Oct 24, 2020
Try to loose the screw just a notch and test out.
Because if its too tight it might not get good contact (cpu and socket), to loose not good cooling contact.

You might try to reseat the CPU.
Thank you for the reply.

Already lossened a lil bit. The cooling is top notch. Will try to reseat cpu and check for cpu socket bent pins ( i have a i5 9600k). I will also try to reflash bios in case it got corrupted for some reason.

Will post results here.

Any other idea is welcome if this doesnt work out.

Reactions: RememberThe5th