Question Two ram sticks at the same time do not work, regardless of the slot positioning

Dec 13, 2023
Yesterday my PC was working fine. Today the DRAM light (red light) were on and the PC turns on but keyboard does not work (peripherals in general, mouse included no input). But one of the stick rams work, if I try one of them it works, the PC runs with no issues. But if I put two together in whichever slots and channels, it never works, I tried all combinations of slots. Please help me, thank you.

In a way you hope that it is just a simple memory stick that failed. If it is the memory controller in the cpu or some issue with the motherboard it gets expensive.

I would first check the bios and maybe you get lucky and for some reason it is changed to a different memory profile. If you are running something like XMP try to turn it off and run the memory at base speeds.

Memory is one of the strangest things you find on a pc. Most other parts you can swap around without a lot of worries. Memory you can have 2 sticks made one after another on the same machine in a factory and they will not function together. They are tested at the factory so kits you buy work correctly.

Although it likely is not going to tell you much that you don't already know you could run memtest86+ for a few hours with different combination of memory and slots. I would use the one that boots off a USB stick rather than the one you run under windows it tends to be able to do better testing. If you get lucky it might give you a clue if it is the memory itself or some issue with the motherboard or cpu.

I suspect you only real option is going to be to buy a new kit of 2 sticks of memory and hope the problem was some chip failed on one of the sticks.

What is different today from yesterday when all was well?

Are both sticks from the same 2 stick ram kit.
Ram must be matched.
The identical part numbers bought separately may not work.

What is your cpu?
Ryzen is more sensitive to ram vs. intel.

What is the make/model of your motherboard?
Is there a relevant bios update available.

RaidHobbit

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2014
Yesterday my PC was working fine. Today the DRAM light (red light) were on and the PC turns on but keyboard does not work (peripherals in general, mouse included no input). But one of the stick rams work, if I try one of them it works, the PC runs with no issues. But if I put two together in whichever slots and channels, it never works, I tried all combinations of slots. Please help me, thank you.
Speed and capacity of each stick please.

TRENDING THREADS