Two router setup, single subnet?

lambert03

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
I have read as many "two router setup" posts about using n- and g- routers together that I can find, but I still haven't found the answer I am looking for.

Here is my setup: I have two routers (b/g-capable WRT54G and n-capable WRT320N, both running tomato firmware). I have one n-capable laptop that I would like to be able to use to share/stream files with a gigabit wired desktop as fast as possible (via the n-router). I also have a couple g-only laptops and a printer, and I need all computers on the network to share files with one another. Here is a diagram of what I am looking to accomplish:

Code:
----- wired connection
~ ~ ~ wireless connection

n-laptop	     g-only laptop
		               ~	            ~
			     	   ~              ~
			           ~		    ~ 
modem--------------nRouter-----gRouter ~  ~  ~ g-only printer
			   	   \			 ~
			    	 \			 ~
			     	   \			 ~
			   wired desktop		g-only laptop

here is some additional information:
-I don't have coverage or interference problems, so I'm not too concerned about the band/channel that any of the routers use.
-The two routers are sitting right next to each other and so can be wired together.
-I want to be able to share files between all of the computers, so I assume this requires them to be on the same subnet? (correct me if I'm wrong)
-I want the n-laptop and one of the g-laptops to have static IP addresses.
-it is important that I be able to run QoS on traffic coming from all computers.

What is the setup that I am looking for?
If I use the G-router as a repeater, how do I make sure that the n-capable laptop only uses the N-router for fast transfers to the wired desktop? can the two routers have different SSIDs with this setup? Which router should be running QoS (or both?) Should just the n-router have DHCP? Someone suggested running the DHCP server off of the modem, and creating two subnets, but I'd prefer to have a router be the DHCP server with a single subnet if it's possible.

any thoughts or suggestions in accomplishing this setup would be really appreciated, thanks!

Solution
Not a very complicated scenario here. All you need to do is connect the two routers LAN to LAN (do NOT use the WAN port of the wireless G router). Now all devices share the same ethernet network, and a single subnet. Just disable the DHCP server on the wireless G router and assign it a static IP in the same subnet as the primary router (e.g., if the wireless N router is 192.168.1.1, then perhaps make the wireless G router 192.168.1.2).

That's really all there is to it. All you're doing is ignoring the routing features of the wireless G router and treating it as a simple WAP (wireless access point) + switch. Very simple.
Not a very complicated scenario here. All you need to do is connect the two routers LAN to LAN (do NOT use the WAN port of the wireless G router). Now all devices share the same ethernet network, and a single subnet. Just disable the DHCP server on the wireless G router and assign it a static IP in the same subnet as the primary router (e.g., if the wireless N router is 192.168.1.1, then perhaps make the wireless G router 192.168.1.2).

That's really all there is to it. All you're doing is ignoring the routing features of the wireless G router and treating it as a simple WAP (wireless access point) + switch. Very simple.

Solution

someone19

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
Not totally familiar with tomato, but if there's an acceess point feature enable that on the g router and away you go. You can't have them share SSID however, you'll need two wireless networks, one N and one G.

rand_79

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
is there any reason to use the wireless g router at all?

seems like this could all be done with just the wireless n router.

but if you do want to use both the above posts have the right answer

lambert03

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

I was under the impression that using the n-router in "mixed" mode (to accomodate the g-only devices) would prevent me from realizing any gains for streaming between any n-capable or wired devices. . . is that incorrect?

lambert03

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

I suspected it was a rather basic setup, but for some reason I've had difficulty getting it to work. I've been focused on the LAN-WAN connection which is part of the problem obviously...
I will give this setup a try this weekend. thank you all for your comments and your time.

someone19

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011

I thought the same thing and quickly took 5 mins to research the router, and (somewhere - I think newegg) I saw a reviewer say that it won't run G and N speed wireless at the same time. So if a G device connects to the N router, all the connections to the router drop to 2.4ghz 54Mbit G speeds. A Dual band multimode router can have both 2.4 and 5ghz, G and N connections at the same time.

I'm still rockin 100-T and G in the homestead, so I can't test.

lambert03

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

yeah, WRT320N is not simultaneous dual band unfortunately...

However, I'm happy to report, that eibgrad's (and everyone else's) advice was perfect and did the trick. I know it was a rather basic question, and I do appreciate you taking the time to help me out. sometimes it feels like you can read a ton of stuff but it never quite applies to your specific situation. sorry for the noob question.