[SOLVED] Two Routers & a Switch w/line drop

San_Sebastian

Prominent
Apr 27, 2020
Good Morning Everyone,

I've often referenced this forum but finally decided to join it. Long story short, I work in Sales for a WISP and I had a someone ask me about a potential setup and I was unsure of how they will make it work. I'm sorry I do not have any specific equipment to provide, this is just a question about general setup, more so for my own curiosity.

My customer will have our radio dish installed on the roof of his house about 100ft away from his barn. Traditionally, we'd do a line drop in which I believe we hook an additional Cat6 off the dish its self and run the line to another router and whatever the second location is. However, the customer already has an Ethernet cable ran from his house to his barn. Trying to avoid the fee for scheduling a line drop, he asked how it'd be possible to use his existing cable with whatever router he provides.

I initially thought that plugging the cable into one of the ethernet ports on the router in his house and running it to a switch out in his barn...but he mentioned he wants wireless to connect his phone and other wifi enabled devices to it. Is it possible to have a switch in between two routers with full function on the 2nd router? I know he could use the switch if he wanted to hardline his computer or TV from it, but not sure what would be needed to achieve a wireless signal for him.

Thank you for any input! He's going to do his own research, but I was just curious if this was even plausible and how it'd work.

Solution
The router in the barn is best run as AP just to make the network simpler. The extra ports on the router/ap can be used to connect any wired devices if needed.

Ralston18

Titan
So your proposed connectivity is:

Satellite ----> House Router [LAN] ---Ethernet cable ----> Barn Switch-----> Second Router---> Wired devices and ~~~> wireless devices.

I would go straight from House Router to Second Router and ---Ethernet cable ----> Switch to serve local/barn wired devices.

Depending on the number of wired barn devices the switch may not be needed at all.

Update and correct my line diagram as necessary.

Make and models for routers and switch?

San_Sebastian

Prominent
Apr 27, 2020
So your proposed connectivity is:

Satellite ----> House Router [LAN] ---Ethernet cable ----> Barn Switch-----> Second Router---> Wired devices and ~~~> wireless devices.

I would go straight from House Router to Second Router and ---Ethernet cable ----> Switch to serve local/barn wired devices.

Depending on the number of wired barn devices the switch may not be needed at all.

Update and correct my line diagram as necessary.

Make and models for routers and switch?

Thank you for the input. He opted out of our wireless router, so I'm not sure what he will be using. But, as far as I know, he doesn't really plan on using many (if any) wired devices in his barn. His cell gets iffy service and he wanted to do wifi calling and connect I believe just strictly wireless devices.

If I understood correctly, are you suggesting house router --->ethernet--->barn router and forgoing the switch all together? Which could be beneficial, as I really don't think he intended to have anything hardlined in the barn.

San_Sebastian

Prominent
Apr 27, 2020
I wound up doing some good old Googling and learned more about the ability to do that with either an old router or a secondary one such as this case. That's a neat little feature I didn't realize could be done. I really appreciate ya'lls answers, thank you!