Two routers connected to one modem?

SuperZac

Honorable
Nov 9, 2012
We have a standard surfboard modem and a standard wired router. I recently purchased a wifi-only tablet thinking I could connect to an ad-hoc hotspot. This however isn't the case and now I can't use my tablet at home.
I'm going to buy an inexpensive wifi router and just have that dedicated for my tablet. I've read that you can connect a wifi router into a wired router, but it requires a lot of mucking about with the settings.
Then I remembered the USB connections that modems and routers have.

So my question to you is- can you have one wired router connected to the modem via a standard cable and also have a wifi router connected to the same modem via a USB cable?

Solution
No you can't have two router comnnected to the one modem , but you can connect the wired router to the modem and then connect the wireless router to the wired router.
I have actually had two wireless routers connected and it works just fine. So yes there is not big deal and no special settings you just connect it up and go.
No you can't have two router comnnected to the one modem , but you can connect the wired router to the modem and then connect the wireless router to the wired router.
I have actually had two wireless routers connected and it works just fine. So yes there is not big deal and no special settings you just connect it up and go.

Solution

SuperZac

Honorable
Nov 9, 2012

Cool, thanks. It's just as well.