[SOLVED] Two routers, one ISP

Hevos93

Honorable
Mar 7, 2016
Hello!
I have a weird question. I live in a student home with a router i cannot access to open ports and such.
However i have my own router and i was wondering if i could disconnect the main router, put a switch and connect both my router and the main router.

I guess this is possible, but will it work?
Both of the routers would have the same external ip i think, so will it even work to connect to my minecraft server?

Of course i could just try, but does anybody know?

Kind regards
Hevos

network.png

Solution
It appears you almost already know the answer.

You only have 1 external IP.

The sharing of that 1 IP is the primary function of a router in a home install. Nobody would need routers if you could just hook all your devices directly up to a modem.

Hooking it up the way you propose only 1 of the 2 routers would get the IP kinda at random and the other router would not get any IP and could not function.

The sharing of that 1 IP is the primary function of a router in a home install. Nobody would need routers if you could just hook all your devices directly up to a modem.

Hooking it up the way you propose only 1 of the 2 routers would get the IP kinda at random and the other router would not get any IP and could not function.

Solution

Hevos93

Honorable
Mar 7, 2016

I see, that makes sense! Thank you!:)

Can you think of any other way to solve this other problem i have with a minecraft server and port forwarding?

Port forwarding must be done in the main router if you have no access to that than it is impossible. You also need to ensure that your ISP issues public IP to the main router and does not use carrier NAT.

In most cases if you can't get simple port forwarding rules setup the best option is to just rent virtual servers it is going to be far cheaper than most other solutions.

Hevos93

Honorable
Mar 7, 2016
Port forwarding must be done in the main router if you have no access to that than it is impossible. You also need to ensure that your ISP issues public IP to the main router and does not use carrier NAT.

In most cases if you can't get simple port forwarding rules setup the best option is to just rent virtual servers it is going to be far cheaper than most other solutions.

Oh okay, thanks!