Two SATA DVD Drives?

barndoor

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2011
Just decided to add a second SATA DVD drive to my old mobo, a Abit IC7 Max 3,
Before, i had a IDE and a Sata DVD Drive, which worked and booted WXP fine,
So, got my second drive, in fact a Blu-ray drive, to try it quick, i just took my first SATA DVD drive out and fitted the new Blu-ray drive, (same connections)
worked fine, but when i decided to remove my old IDE DVD drive and refit the other SATA DVD Drive,

It would not boot up into Windows, just got the error message "Disk Boot Failure"

Disconnected the last SATA DVD Drive fitted, booted fine,

Is it not possible to have two SATA DVD Drive's fitted to an older mobo like mine?
Or, do i have to do something to the way it boots windows in the BIOS?
Any help will be great, thanks

barndoor

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2011
Ok, went into BIOS,
options set are-

First Boot Device- Floppy Disk (yes, i still have a floppy fitted, never used it in years!)
Second Boot Device- Hard Drive
Other Boot Device- CD-ROM

So, i disabled CD-ROM as other boot device, and left others as above,
Still got same error mesage-

VERIFYING DMI POLL DATA-
"DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK & PRESS ENTER"
(Which is exactly what it says)

Should i set first boot device to my C: drive and disable the other two?

Rusting In Peace

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009
There should be another option somewhere that lists the hard drive / sata order. Ensure that your c: drive is the first option.

If you can't find something like this you can try switching the sata connectors around on the motherboard. It's likely the boot priority is linked to the sata port number. So if you were to say have 4 sata ports they'd be numbered 0 to 3. Have your c: drive connected to the 0 (first) port. Generally the numbering is printed on the motherboard, if not your motherboard manual should have a diagram indicating the numbering.

barndoor

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2011
C: is a SATA HDD that boots from, i think, is No1 SATA port, think you can only boot from 1&2 SATA ports,
I'll dive into BIOS and have a look for what you suggest Rustin'
Thanks

4745454b

Titan
Remember that IDE has to be jumpered correctly for it to work. My guess is your boot drive is also IDE and not sata. Removing the DVD drive is messing up your IDE cable. Remove the drive, and double check your cables/jumpers.

barndoor

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2011

Addict,
its def a SATA, infact its a SP2504C http://www.samsung.com/ph/consumer/...ata-hdd/SP2504C/index.idx?pagetype=prd_detail

I've just removed an old DVD Re-Writer, the tray would not open, which was IDE

barndoor

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2011
OK, tried this- Boot C: HDD & the DVD that works are connected to SATA 1 & 2 consecutively on my mobo, SATA 1 & 2 are in a small group, separate to SATA's 3,4,5 & 6, which are in a group below them,
Disconnected SATA2 DVD, the one that works and connected the other one to SATA 4, have working HDD's in SATA's 5&6,
Still same result,

VERIFYING DMI POLL DATA-

Re-connected, Fine,
So that suggest's to me that it is a BIOS setting, but i have two SATA HDD's working fine in the same group, SATA's 3-6?
Wish there was an idiot guide somewhere,
Or may contacting Abit.....

barndoor

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2011
Sorry, was not clear enough, its not the drive itself thats bad, its the connection to the mobo that i cannot work out how to configure correctly, when any DVD or BD is connected to SATA 2 (C: boots from SATA 1) it works OK, but when i connect a DVD or BD up to, it seems the separate group SATA's 3-6 i just get -

VERIFYING DMI POLL DATA-

From the BIOS when booting, but there are two SATA HDD's working fine, which are connected to SATA 3-6?
Am trying to find out how to configure a Optical Disc drive to work on SATA's 3-6

4745454b

Titan
I wonder if SATA 3-6 doesn't support optical drives? Try plugging both optical drives into 1 and 2. Put all other drives on 3-6. (boot drive in 3, why not...) Make sure the bios still sees the boot drive, and its still the drive it will try booting from. I'm not sure it can boot from the SATA 3-6 controller, so don't be surprised if it still doesn't work.

barndoor

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2011

Thats been at the back of my mind, am pretty sure from what i can remember, a HDD will not boot from 3-6,

Have a PCI SATA card that i'm going to try, when i find time!
Cheers

barndoor

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2011
Think i may have heard about the F6 thing, long time ago when i built my PC,
Had a thought tho,
at mo, DVD-RW is on SATA 4 (when connected) and two SATA HDD's on SATA's 5&6,
Think i'll try HDD's on SATA's 4&5 and the DVD-RW on SATA 6,
to see what happens?
Bit nervous about messing with my C: when its working OK

4745454b

Titan
In theory as a serial point to point bus, what you plug into what number shouldn't matter. You should be able to boot from SATA 6 as long as you have the right driver. And I totally understand not wanting to mess with the C drive. As long as you don't delete or format anything you should just get the not able to boot msg you've been getting.