[SOLVED] Two separate internet provider routers in one house?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SpyroBot

Prominent
Feb 12, 2019
Hello there.

So I've been thinking about stuff and I've come to a conclusion that it would be amazing to have a personal internet connection for me, and another one for the rest of the family.

So would it be possible to place two routers from different internet providers next to each other? Or would this throttle the signal?

Thanks in advance.

Solution
seems odd but it's not so unusual where he is to use a cellular plan as internet. it's not as expensive there as it is here and is usually faster overall than what we can get in the US.

so to answer the question, no a second such router even from the same company would not cause any issues at all. though as others have noted, i would not put them right next to each other. and do be sure to set them to different channels, preferrably at least 5 apart. so 1 and 6 or 2 and 7 or 3 and 8 and so on....

considering you plan to use it in a separate room than the main 4k tv. having your personal one in that room would make the most sense so it can be easily wired to the gaming system.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
yah it does seem like some are trying to make it more than it is.

this truly is "can i use 2 cellular hotspot routers from 2 different companies in the same house and hook them up to different devices?" and the simple answer is yes but set channels 5 or more apart. enjoy the better gaming experience :D

The problem you have is it is almost impossible to have enough wifi bandwidth to run 2 devices.

Used to be you could run 3 wifi routers on 2.4g and 9 (depend on country) on the 5g. Modern routers use 40mhz of bandwidth on 2.4g and there is only 60mhz total so it is impossible to fit 2. On 5g 802.11ac uses 80mhz of bandwidth. There are only 2 blocks this large. If you have one of those fancy tri-band routers with 2 5g radios it will use a block for each. So a single router can use 2/3 of the 2.4g and 8/9 on the 5g.

The only way to solve this is to set the channel width back to 20mhz. This will cut the maximum speed but lets the 2 devices share the radio bandwidth. Now this assumes you have no neighbors trying to use wifi since their devices will also likely try to use all the bandwidth.

Best option would be to try to use the 5g frequency and let each router have one of the 4 consecutive channel blocks. You just have to hope you do not have a neighbor too close.

Now if you are using ethernet and I did not see that in the thread then none of the above applies

SpyroBot

Prominent
Feb 12, 2019
The problem you have is it is almost impossible to have enough wifi bandwidth to run 2 devices.

Used to be you could run 3 wifi routers on 2.4g and 9 (depend on country) on the 5g. Modern routers use 40mhz of bandwidth on 2.4g and there is only 60mhz total so it is impossible to fit 2. On 5g 802.11ac uses 80mhz of bandwidth. There are only 2 blocks this large. If you have one of those fancy tri-band routers with 2 5g radios it will use a block for each. So a single router can use 2/3 of the 2.4g and 8/9 on the 5g.

The only way to solve this is to set the channel width back to 20mhz. This will cut the maximum speed but lets the 2 devices share the radio bandwidth. Now this assumes you have no neighbors trying to use wifi since their devices will also likely try to use all the bandwidth.

Best option would be to try to use the 5g frequency and let each router have one of the 4 consecutive channel blocks. You just have to hope you do not have a neighbor too close.

Now if you are using ethernet and I did not see that in the thread then none of the above applies
Haha, I appreciate the effort you put into this, but yes, I will be using ethernet.

BlueQuazar1

Reputable
Feb 16, 2019
I'm 24 hours late to the party!

Photo 1 Internet modem: View: https://flic.kr/p/2dTpJVT

Photo 2 Back of internet modem (wire with red tape goes to Router) View: https://flic.kr/p/2dTpJQH

Photo 3 Router in the house upstairs View: https://flic.kr/p/24EJw2g

Photo 4 (White wire with red tape) into Ethernet port in Router View: https://flic.kr/p/2dTpK4t

All you need to do is to set up a new username and password for the router use on your pc.
There is one drawback to this, that is printer sharing. If your printer is connected to your existing internet modem wifi network, your router connection will not see it your printer.
Still looking for a workaround, I got time on my hands to do it!

I think this got a bit more complicated than it should've been. The fact is, I am getting a separate internet connection from a different provider (COMPLEATLY separate). I was just questioning if the signals will disturb each other with they're put next to each other.

Should not, but you can just ask the other provider also. It got complicated because you were not really explaining your setup very well. Since you are using cell based internet they are on different connections otherwise people using different phone service around each other would have issues. And since you are using cell service, it does not matter where you locate your modem as long as it get electric power, so if you are worried about interference, just place the modem elsewhere.

BlueQuazar1

Reputable
Feb 16, 2019
Your provider is a mobile/cell phone wifi connection. what I posted will not work with your current set up.
Massive confusion on my part for not following up within this thread, sorry.
If you had DSL or Fiber Cable, this would work for you!