Question Two separate monitors, both having the same color issues :(

AfkToilet

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2014
Hi,

So I recently build a PC for a friend of mine and we bought the Gigabyte M27Q for her but after using the monitor for a few minutes or sometimes hours, the colors somehow shift and instead of the 8bit panel that it was supposed to be, it looked like a 4/6 bit panel. This was most obvious when looking at a gradient,

Here are what the colors are supposed to be: Imgur Link
and here is what the colors look like when the shift happens: Imgur Link

After updating the firmware on the monitor and using different cables and inputs, the issue still happens. Oddly enough, sometimes the issue is only happening on one of the DP ports which caused me to think it was the GPU since when we were testing it, only the middle DP was messed up, so we took the GPU to test at the store and it was fine, on top of that, I also brought in an old GPU to test it with (which only had HDMI input) but the color shifting was still happening so we confirmed that it was not her GPU.

So we returned the monitor and bought another M27Q just to run into the same issue again...this time the firmware was even up to date when it came so I'm here scratching my head wondering what could be causing this because I have troubleshot everything I know of but the colors are still shifting. The problem is that we only got to test her setup with two Gigabyte M27Qs and no other monitor but like, what are the chances of two monitors having the same issue?

Does anyone have an idea what might be causing this? is this just a rare coincidence where the two panels happen to have the same issue or is it something else that might be causing this? could it be her PCIE slot that might be messed up?

Please if anyone know anything about this, let me know because we're both very frustrated and tired lol.
Thanks!

AfkToilet

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2014
I suspect a motherboard issue since it's the only remaining common component. Happening at random times sort of indicates the change occurs when components warm up.
That's what I'm afraid of. Why would the color be affected and not performance tbo? Cause I have ran a lot of benchmarks and everything seems fine.