[SOLVED] Two Separate Network

Oct 9, 2020
Hi..

We share our building with someone(is is non profit) who has an internet connection coming to the building.

They have a very crappy router with almost no coverage and not willing to change neither wants us to change it.

I am planning to put a wired router after the cable model and then hook there wireless router and our wireless router so that we have our separate wifi and don't have to deal with their crappie router. Also gives us flexibility to manage our own network.

2 questions

1. is it possible ?
  2. what kind of wired router/switch I should buy who can accommodate this setup

thanks
NJ

Solution
No, we are not getting 2 separate public IP form the ISP. There is no need for separate IP. We are kind of 2 organization which work together but it's hard for me to change anything on there end. Neither they want to change anything. As per them "Do what ever you wan to do but don't break our network".
OK. You can leave their router untouched and plug a wired only router into their router, that way there aren't two WIFI source tightly packed and potentially interfering. Then run 1 or more ethernet cables to your area. Add WIFI access point(s) for wireless.
Your network would be inaccessible to them. You would only have to cooperate if their router is unstable or bandwidth limiting.
You could swap the order of their...

kanewolf

Titan
Hi..

We share our building with someone(is is non profit) who has an internet connection coming to the building.

They have a very crappy router with almost no coverage and not willing to change neither wants us to change it.

I am planning to put a wired router after the cable model and then hook there wireless router and our wireless router so that we have our separate wifi and don't have to deal with their crappie router. Also gives us flexibility to manage our own network.

2 questions

1. is it possible ?
  2. what kind of wired router/switch I should buy who can accommodate this setup
thanks
NJ
First question are you buying two public IP addresses from the ISP? Do each of the businesses need a public IP address?

Oct 9, 2020
First question are you buying two public IP addresses from the ISP? Do each of the businesses need a public IP address?

No, we are not getting 2 separate public IP form the ISP. There is no need for separate IP. We are kind of 2 organization which work together but it's hard for me to change anything on there end. Neither they want to change anything. As per them "Do what ever you wan to do but don't break our network".

kanewolf

Titan
OK. You can leave their router untouched and plug a wired only router into their router, that way there aren't two WIFI source tightly packed and potentially interfering. Then run 1 or more ethernet cables to your area. Add WIFI access point(s) for wireless.
Your network would be inaccessible to them. You would only have to cooperate if their router is unstable or bandwidth limiting.
You could swap the order of their router and the wired router. That could impact them.
Get a business class router. Don't try to just use some home router.

Solution
Oct 9, 2020
thanks a lot kanewolf for your insight. So I am thinking of buying wired router and placing it after the modem and then attaching there wireless router and our wireless router to the wired router thru ethernet cable.

I am planning to buy google wifi router(is it good?) for our area but still need to figure out the best wired router(need some help which one to buy) which will sit after the cable model and before there wireless router and ours.

cable mode ---> wired router ----> 2 wireless routers(ours and theres)

Doing this you become their IT guy. They will blame every problem on your new wired router.

You can look a ubiquiti edge routers they are cheap but very fast. They are not hard but are more complex than many other routers because they have some enterprise level features that you need to what you can ignore.

I am surprised people buy "google" brand anything. It is not a company that has expertise in hardware design and manufacture. They just put their name on equipment. Maybe I would use a search engine run by intel or nvidia

Doing this you become their IT guy. They will blame every problem on your new wired router.
This is VERY important--if you don't want to get in trouble, connect it the way kanewolf said. Plus, it provides more security for your network.

Haha, you're dead-on bill001g. Once you have a big enough brand you can sell people anything. I once said Microsoft could have gas stations and people would buy gas there, lol. (And as a shareholder I would be very happy if they did. :D)