Question Two separate systems/system drives on one motherboard good or bad?

IntrepidBongos

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2015
I am getting my music programming system upgraded.
Back in the day, often having all that software (as well as enormous content files) would make my system slow, and sometimes freeze. My solution then was just get a computer exclusively for music content and programming. I am in the same situation today, and what I wanted to do was, instead of getting another computer in my studio, to simply have two separate systems, on two separate drives (NMVe), or to keep the SSD I run my windows 10 system off, which is a Samsung EVO SSD, and just clone it to an MNVe hard drive, and then remove all non musical programs from it.

In my mind, I thought I could just boot up the musical hard drive when I wanted to program music, or, I could boot up the drive with my regular business stuff when I wanted to do office work.

I have Micro-Star International Co. Ltd. B560M PRO-VDH (MS-7D18) (U3E1) that has 2 MNVe sockets, (2.M), 2 PCEi sockets, and 6 SATA sockets, two of which I am currently using for the windows 10 system, and another for files storage. It's fairly fast.

But when I mention it in other forums, (Music, Reddit, etc) it seems to break down into two groups of people. One who say it would invite problems, and another that says it works fine for them.

I case I made it sound too complicated, (I have a problem with that sometimes lol)
I basically want the functionality of both a exclusively music computer on one drive, and an exclusively non music computer on another drive, have them both on the same motherboard, and be able to select which one I want to run at startup. It would save space, money for me, and I also like the fact that the MNVe drives are faster since these huge musical files can can a long time to transfer.

So what's the verdict? can I run two separate systems, (only using one at a time, of course), on the same motherboard/computer? Or does doom await they who dare?

Any help appreciated.
Thanks!
IB

My Specs:
Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
CPU: Intel Core i9 10900 @ 2.80 GHz
Comet Lake 14NM technology
RAM: 64 GB Dual Channel @ 1333MHz (19-19-19-43)
Motherboard: Microstar International (MSI) B560M PRP VDH (MS 7D18) (U3E1)

I have Micro-Star International Co. Ltd. B560M PRO-VDH (MS-7D18) (U3E1) that has 2 MNVe sockets, (2.M), 2 PCEi sockets, and 6 SATA sockets, two of which I am currently using for the windows 10 system, and another for files storage. It's fairly fast.

I'm unclear on your current configuration.

You say "SSD I run my windows 10 system off, which is a Samsung EVO SSD"

And you say the above portion in red implying 2 drives.

Normally, I'd say just use one machine, subdivided by folders. Is that what you are doing now and what you find inadequate?

Your primary complaint is speed? When doing what in particular?

The NVMe sockets are unused?

IntrepidBongos

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2015
Yes. currently the NMVe sockets are unused.

1: I am currently running windows 10 from my Samsung EVO SSD, which is plugged into Sata port 5.

2: I'd like to clone this windows 10 system drive, onto an NMVe drive which can be plugged directly into one of the two NMVe sockets.

3: I'd like to then remove all non musical programs and content from the cloned NMVe drive and only use it for music.

4: I am wondering if there will be a problem having two system drives plugged into the same motherboard, and am hoping that at boot, I can pick which one I want to boot into.

I hope it explained it better.
Thanks.

IntrepidBongos

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2015
I think you're right. maybe I'm overthinking this. I just wanted to have fastest working music programs and I wanted them to be able to access the content as fast as possible cuz sometimes that makes it slow. but now after talking to you and looking at a few other opinions, I think I'll probably just run the one system, and I'll use the NMVE slot for the content that I want to use with my music programs, that way it'll be a lot faster and all on board, And I can just religiously make backups since I'm always worried about that.
thanks!

You refer to "content".

Not sure what that means. Personal files unrelated to Windows or installed applications? Or not?

At any rate.....I'd certainly try to get Windows and all installed applications on the same partition on the same drive...quite likely an NVMe

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B560M-PRO-VDH

https://storage-asset.msi.com/datasheet/mb/global/B560M-PRO-VDH.pdf

Is the above your motherboard? It has 2 NVMe ports, one gen 4 and one gen 3. And with at least one built in heatsink.

I'd probably get a gen 4 NVMe and put it in the gen 4 port, assuming that port has a heatsink. Gen 4 runs a bit hotter, but not alarmingly so. A heatsink should certainly take care of it.

Try to anticipate how large it needs to be. Allow for some growth. Could be as small as 500 GB or as large as 2 TB, depending on your requirements.

Some folks like to restrict their Windows drive to no more than Windows and applications, while others put most or all of their data on the same drive. That's mostly personal preference. I don't know how much space you need other than for Windows and installed programs. Windows alone doesn't take over 30 GB or so.