Question Two separate Xbox Elite controllers with two separate USB cables on two separate computers keep randomly shutting off.

tokotigerjosh

Honorable
Nov 3, 2017
I'm experiencing an issue with my Xbox Elite controllers.

I usually play games with them plugged into the PC via a USB-C cable. However in the middle of my gaming sessions they randomly shut off and I keep having to turn them back on.

This has happened to me on two separate computers with two separate controllers using two separate USB cables. The only guess I have is that despite looking secure the USB cable is somehow unsecore and gets jostled off easily resulting in the controller powering off. But it doesn't seem like that's the case because it's wedged in there pretty firmly and jiggling it around doesn't cause this to happen. This usually occurs when I am playing a fighting game like Street Fighter V.

About my PC:

Nvidia RTX 3060
Processor 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12600K 3.69 GHz
Installed RAM 16.0 GB (15.7 GB usable)
Motherboard ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Edition Windows 10 Pro
Version 22H2
OS build 19045.2965
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19041.1000.0

bdcrlsn

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Could be a power setting that is misconfigured to disable USB peripherals after a certain amount of time. I would double check your Power & Sleep Settings to make sure.

tokotigerjosh

Honorable
Nov 3, 2017
I think I've figured it out.

Apparently the USB-C cable is poorly seated in the Xbox Elite controller and it's just a physical design flaw with the controller. To test this I went into the Xbox Accessories App and lightly jiggled the end of the cable that went in the controller, and it disconnected with barely any movement. I kept trying this out and this kept happening.

So far I've encountered this issue with the original USB-C cable that came with my first Xbox controller, and a second third party USB-C cable that I bought off Amazon. While I haven't tested the first cable with the Xbox Accessories App I'm assuming it's the same issue. Are USB-C cables universally the same shape? I notice that the cable doesn't enter the controller all the way down and there's still a bit of the silver connector visible at all times. This is apparently easy to jiggle loose and results in my controller deactivating in the middle of game sessions, it's really frustrating!

Can anything be done?