[SOLVED] Two Seperate Wi-Fis in the house coming from the same fibre optic cable.

piggyplayz

Reputable
Feb 16, 2018
So I recently started paying for my own seperate wifi from my parents for better performance. However I just noticed that both routers are connected to the same fibre optic cable, with a splitter. Is this an issue and could it slow either wifis down? Both are from the same provider.
Picture of the splitter (sorry I couldn’t get better quality it is blocked): View: https://imgur.com/a/7fRoxwA

Thanks for your time

Solution
That looks like coax rather than fiber. But that makes no difference to the conversation. Could two cable modems on the same coax interfere? I would think that is possible. But eventually ALL the cables come together. Yours just meet sooner than most. If you both were trying to download at 400Mbit rates continuously, you would collide. But if you parents are streaming a Netflix movie, I don't think you will have issues. Multiple WIFI signals in the same house CAN interfere with each other. If you are paying for your own internet connection, you should take advantage of using wired connection.

kanewolf

Titan
That looks like coax rather than fiber. But that makes no difference to the conversation. Could two cable modems on the same coax interfere? I would think that is possible. But eventually ALL the cables come together. Yours just meet sooner than most. If you both were trying to download at 400Mbit rates continuously, you would collide. But if you parents are streaming a Netflix movie, I don't think you will have issues. Multiple WIFI signals in the same house CAN interfere with each other. If you are paying for your own internet connection, you should take advantage of using wired connection.

Reactions: piggyplayz
Solution

piggyplayz

Reputable
Feb 16, 2018
Thanks for the reply. I’m using an extender and an Ethernet cable connected to that atm as the router and my room are on different floors and my mum wouldn’t like to have a long Ethernet cable running up the stairs.

kanewolf

Titan
Thanks for the reply. I’m using an extender and an Ethernet cable connected to that atm as the router and my room are on different floors and my mum wouldn’t like to have a long Ethernet cable running up the stairs.
You are no better off, than when you were sharing, IMO. If the new router is not installed in your room then you are wasting your money on "your own" internet subscription. The installer should have run the cable to the room you wanted it (usually on the outside of the house).

Reactions: piggyplayz