[SOLVED] Two short beeps on a Lenovo Thinkcentre, help?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 1, 2021
I don't know where to post this...

Hey guys, I've got a <Mod Edit> Lenovo Thinkcentre m72e, I was looking to sell it, but when I got there this piece of crap gave me a surprise (two beeps after pressing the power button). The first thing it did was give me a message saying "no operating system detected". The buyer thought it was a good idea to replace my HDD with his SSD (thinking it was a HDD problem), but then it gave out two short beeps. I put my HDD back in, but the same happened (meaning two beeps).

Now, I don't know how this junk managed to break down on the road (in a freaking car), but one thing I remember before taking it to a buyer was replace the original HDD with my old HDD to upload some files to a Google Drive. However, it worked just fine before I left, I made sure to check everything.

Now, how can a PC break down on the road? I did not put it on the ground or anything, just put it in a bag and drove it like it was my own kid.

It might seem funny, but I really need to sell this junk, I got no funds to take it to a professional, and I'm no tech genius, maybe you can help me diagnose this?

Note: I got no spare parts to swap them out or anything. Is there any way for me to find out what's wrong like this?

Lenovo support is being a duck about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
I think two short beeps is just a POST error, could be anything.

I've seen Lenovo power supplies lose 5V, but there probably wouldn't be beeping without that.

Checking all the cables would be something to do. Bad SATA cable might explain your other problem, and they can get rather brittle with age. A car ride could easily have damaged the plastic and made for a loose connection.
I don't know where to post this...

Hey guys, I've got a <Mod Edit> Lenovo Thinkcentre m72e, I was looking to sell it, but when I got there this piece of crap gave me a surprise (two beeps after pressing the power button). The first thing it did was give me a message saying "no operating system detected". The buyer thought it was a good idea to replace my HDD with his SSD (thinking it was a HDD problem), but then it gave out two short beeps. I put my HDD back in, but the same happened (meaning two beeps).

Now, I don't know how this junk managed to break down on the road (in a freaking car), but one thing I remember before taking it to a buyer was replace the original HDD with my old HDD to upload some files to a Google Drive. However, it worked just fine before I left, I made sure to check everything.

Now, how can a PC break down on the road? I did not put it on the ground or anything, just put it in a bag and drove it like it was my own kid.

It might seem funny, but I really need to sell this junk, I got no funds to take it to a professional, and I'm no tech genius, maybe you can help me diagnose this?

Note: I got no spare parts to swap them out or anything. Is there any way for me to find out what's wrong like this?

Lenovo support is being a duck about it.
Just to see if something got knocked loose during transit reseat all plugs...reseat the ram and gpu.

Last edited by a moderator:

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I think two short beeps is just a POST error, could be anything.

I've seen Lenovo power supplies lose 5V, but there probably wouldn't be beeping without that.

Checking all the cables would be something to do. Bad SATA cable might explain your other problem, and they can get rather brittle with age. A car ride could easily have damaged the plastic and made for a loose connection.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.