[SOLVED] Two single channel rams compatibility ?

Mar 11, 2022
Hi I wanted to buy a ram of different speed of what I already have .the difference is not just in speed but in Vol and timing too. the question is if I run them in single channel, would there be any kind of problem that I have to worry about? ( I'm buying the new one in higher specifics so that I could buy another like it in the future for the new pc and I know I'm losing performance upon not using dual channel )
and another question in my motherboards manual it says " The memory DIMM voltage below 1.35V is suggested to protect the CPU " so can I buy a ram with 1.35V usage or not?

Last edited:
Solution
When you are mixing RAMs, the motherboard will use a speed, a default voltage for DDR4 (1.2V) of which both of the RAMs can handle. Setting higher voltage is done manually or using XMP. But you can't set voltage of individual sticks.

So, after you mix the RAMs, the setting the motherboard sets on them or the settings you set on them should be compatible with both RAMs. Then it should work (There are more things that would affect).

Running them Single channel means once one of your RAM is full, it will start filling the next RAM. Dual interleaved mode means using both RAMs simultaneously. You might see about 10% more real world application gains in Dual Channel.

Nuwan Fernando

Distinguished
May I know your parts of the current PC with current RAM Speeds / timing and voltage etc with the RAM you are going to buy to give you a more valid answer?

Generally,
Even with single channel, you can't run two different RAMs on two different speeds two different voltages.

Even mixing RAMs with same manufacturer and speed but with different timing may not work well together.

So the odds are really bad if it will work together.

Mar 11, 2022
May I know your parts of the current PC with current RAM Speeds / timing and voltage etc with the RAM you are going to buy to give you a more valid answer?

Generally,
Even with single channel, you can't run two different RAMs on two different speeds two different voltages.

Even mixing RAMs with same manufacturer and speed but with different timing may not work well together.

So the odds are really bad if it will work together.
Hi thanks for the reply
here are my specs :
1060 6gb
b250 mortar
i3-9100
HyperX fury 8gb 2400mhz ddr4 1.20
and I wanted to buy either of this rams :
Corsair VENGEANCE LPX 8GB 3000MHz CL16 Memory 1.35V
ADATA XPG HUNTER 8GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4 Memory 1.35V

and alternatively
Corsair VENGEANCE LPX 8GB 2400MHz CL16 Memory 1.20V
since you mentioned speed but all of this rams are CL16 and I don't have the option to neither buy same ram as the one I have or any CL15 ram and I didn't really see anyone suffering from the fact of the ram speed difference the problems where mainly around timing.
Edit1: I have changed my opinion based on searching and seeing others suggestion and want to buy the 2400MHz 1.20V but the other questions still remain .(will it be ok to run it single channel if it didn't work in dual channel meaning no probable BSOD are reboots .)

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2022
my main concern right now is that if I buy any of this rams would there be any kind of problem with my pc even if I don't try to run them in dual channel (so putting them in different slots to don't run in this way ) although I would want to try to manually change the settings for them to run in dual channel but if they didn't then putting them in single channel would cause any blue screen or shutdowns and restarts . from what I read if you don't run your rams in dual channel then one of rams would act as a kind of a backup when the other one is full and you don't get the benefits of double speed, is this right ?

Nuwan Fernando

Distinguished
When you are mixing RAMs, the motherboard will use a speed, a default voltage for DDR4 (1.2V) of which both of the RAMs can handle. Setting higher voltage is done manually or using XMP. But you can't set voltage of individual sticks.

So, after you mix the RAMs, the setting the motherboard sets on them or the settings you set on them should be compatible with both RAMs. Then it should work (There are more things that would affect).

Running them Single channel means once one of your RAM is full, it will start filling the next RAM. Dual interleaved mode means using both RAMs simultaneously. You might see about 10% more real world application gains in Dual Channel.

Solution

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
Best way to guarantee sets of 16 gigs of RAM to work is to buy a 16 gig set, in the same packaging. Those have been tested by the manufacturer to work together. Otherwise, who knows if it will work.
In other words, buy the capacity you need/want. Don't mix, unless you know every characteristic of every RAM stick in your system. That means how does it react to voltage, what timings does it run out of the 30 or so there is, what temps etc etc. It will take months to figure out.

Upgrading RAM is not really a thing, for normal customers. Get a new set, would be my recommendation.

And next time, buy twice as much as you think you will need.
Today, 16 gigs isn't enough for me. Because I play games. There are games that will pull 12 gigs. Add Windows, 4 gigs pulled and I'm already out of RAM. So I have 32 gigs. Had it for 2 years.

Mar 11, 2022
This is a not compatible combination. B250 only supports 6th and 7th gen Intel. 9th gen Intel is compatible with 3** chipsets only.

Why do you want 3000 or 3200 MT/s RAM? B250 and i3-9100 don't support over 2400 MT/s.
yeah sorry I have a i3-7100 .

and yes I changed my opinion on buying higher than 2400 (I wanted to do this so in the future upgrades buying the same ram as the 3200 would be better but buying kits is always better soo..)

Best way to guarantee sets of 16 gigs of RAM to work is to buy a 16 gig set, in the same packaging. Those have been tested by the manufacturer to work together. Otherwise, who knows if it will work.
In other words, buy the capacity you need/want. Don't mix, unless you know every characteristic of every RAM stick in your system. That means how does it react to voltage, what timings does it run out of the 30 or so there is, what temps etc etc. It will take months to figure out.

Upgrading RAM is not really a thing, for normal customers. Get a new set, would be my recommendation.

And next time, buy twice as much as you think you will need.
Today, 16 gigs isn't enough for me. Because I play games. There are games that will pull 12 gigs. Add Windows, 4 gigs pulled and I'm already out of RAM. So I have 32 gigs. Had it for 2 years.
for the next time you'll be sure I'm doing this but right now I just wanted to get a stick for a year or so
what kind of games do you play :) ?! cause honestly with even a 8gb ram I've been having next to no issues I just want more for the background .

so what I'm getting is there is no 100% certainty for me to don't run into any problems even if I try to run them single channel mode ? right?

Nuwan Fernando

Distinguished

and yes I changed my opinion on buying higher than 2400 (I wanted to do this so in the future upgrades buying the same ram as the 3200 would be better but buying kits is always better soo..)

for the next time you'll be sure I'm doing this but right now I just wanted to get a stick for a year or so
what kind of games do you play :) ?! cause honestly with even a 8gb ram I've been having next to no issues I just want more for the background .

so what I'm getting is there is no 100% certainty for me to don't run into any problems even if I try to run them single channel mode ? right?

Yes. Mixing RAMs is always a bit of a gamble.

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED

What games? Ghost Recon: Breakpoint is one that comes to mind. Total RAM consumption 12-13 gigs when I start it, after 1-2 hours, usually 15-16 gigs. At 1440p but I don't believe that matters.