Two SSD's as one?

Spyrros

Reputable
Nov 12, 2014
I'm not sure if this is possible but is there anyway to make windows recognize two different SSD's as one drive? I have a Samsung SSD with 128gb of storage and I'm needing more space now, I would like to just add another SSD and have windows recognize them as one drive. Any help would be appreciated. And yes i have a HDD for storage(pictures,videos, music, etc.)

Solution
Confirmed! RAID 0 is the only option for a boot drive partition across multiple drives, it will need to be supported by your MB and you will either need to backup your data and reinstall or backup the drive image and write it over the RAID 0 when you get it setup.

Keep in mind that trim will not function over RAID and that you will have a higher chance of partition failure with RAID 0 in addition to an overall faster IO speed.

APassingMe

Reputable
Aug 25, 2014
RAID 0 is the typical answer.... not sure if that would be ideal in this case though since you would have to wipe both disks in addition to the the negatives that come with running RAID 0, some nice positives too though. You might be able to extend the partition across the 2nd drive but I don't know if that's doable on a boot drive so it's just a maybe.

APassingMe

Reputable
Aug 25, 2014
Confirmed! RAID 0 is the only option for a boot drive partition across multiple drives, it will need to be supported by your MB and you will either need to backup your data and reinstall or backup the drive image and write it over the RAID 0 when you get it setup.

Keep in mind that trim will not function over RAID and that you will have a higher chance of partition failure with RAID 0 in addition to an overall faster IO speed.

Solution

Trim has been functioning over raid for years sir.

Easiest option is to replace the original SSD with a larger capacity one. There's nothing the OP is going to be able to do with the first in place that doesn't require approximately the same amount of work, and the potential for drawbacks with RAID hardly seem worthwhile. What happens if one of the drives in RAID ends up needing a firmware update or suddenly goes off the deep end for performance? I wouldn't want to pair two drives when one or the other could suddenly have a dramatic shift in performance that may tie up the bus to the point of timing out.