[SOLVED] Two SSDs or one?

Jan 17, 2022
Hello

What are the advantages of having two separate drives one for the system and another for games? I've always used one main drive that acted as both so i'd like to know the difference.

Also, if two separate ones are better, can I use one NVMe 3.0 and another 4.0 ? which should be used for games / system? and which capacity is better for the system (250 GB / 500 GB).

Sorry if my questions are many but i'm kind of rookie on this matter.

Solution
Thanks man I'm grateful
I agree with 2 drives although if your not very skilled or just rather not think about it then one large SSD would work. Some of the AAA games are in the 100GB area so take that into consideration depending on how many games you have and plan to add. Actually you don't need to be very skilled it's simple, Add a folder to the game SSD just call it games or something but always remember to chose it as where to download the games.

Been a while but if I remember right Steam will download to the OS drive then you go into settings and change it so it will let you pick where the game download goes.

With todays prices (USA) using a single drive I would probably get the 2TB drive I'm going to list, using 2...

USAFRet

Titan
Opinions differ greatly.

Some people prefer a single drive large enough to hold everything.
Other people (me) prefer multiple drives. One for the OS and applications, others for other data.

PCIe 3.0 and 4.0, the user facing difference is MUCH smaller than the benchmark numbers would suggest.
A lot of uses, no difference at all.

Reactions: Joe07
Jan 17, 2022
Opinions differ greatly.

Some people prefer a single drive large enough to hold everything.
Other people (me) prefer multiple drives. One for the OS and applications, others for other data.

PCIe 3.0 and 4.0, the user facing difference is MUCH smaller than the benchmark numbers would suggest.
A lot of uses, no difference at all.

So there isn't any noticeable gains between 3.0 and 4.0 despite the benchmarks?

What is the sufficient SSD capacity for the OS?

Thanks for your reply

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Thanks man I'm grateful
I agree with 2 drives although if your not very skilled or just rather not think about it then one large SSD would work. Some of the AAA games are in the 100GB area so take that into consideration depending on how many games you have and plan to add. Actually you don't need to be very skilled it's simple, Add a folder to the game SSD just call it games or something but always remember to chose it as where to download the games.

Been a while but if I remember right Steam will download to the OS drive then you go into settings and change it so it will let you pick where the game download goes.

With todays prices (USA) using a single drive I would probably get the 2TB drive I'm going to list, using 2 drives then the 500GB M.2 drive along with either the 1 or 2TB SSD. If you don't need a bunch of game storage now then the 1TB should be fine you and always add another latter.

EDIT good drives that I trust.

If your stuck on a NVME drive as using a single drive still the same one listed above but 2TB for about 40 bucks higher than the regular SSD.
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Fv...b-m2-2280-nvme-solid-state-drive-mz-v7s2t0bam

Last edited:
Reactions: Joe07
Solution
Jan 17, 2022

With todays prices (USA) using a single drive I would probably get the 2TB drive I'm going to list, using 2 drives then the 500GB M.2 drive along with either the 1 or 2TB SSD. If you don't need a bunch of game storage now then the 1TB should be fine you and always add another latter.

EDIT good drives that I trust.

If your stuck on a NVME drive as using a single drive still the same one listed above but 2TB for about 40 bucks higher than the regular SSD.
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Fv...b-m2-2280-nvme-solid-state-drive-mz-v7s2t0bam

Thanks for the recommendations much appreciated :)