Two-step shut down?

Shock34

Reputable
Nov 1, 2015
We've all been there, pressed the shutdown button by mistake mid game or with unsaved work open.

Well my PC, like many others is on top of my desk, right below a shelf that I usually reach for that holds my controllers and other random stuff. (it's pretty low and weird) so as you can imagine, my chest, arm or hand presses the button quite often which is conveniently placed at a 45° angle on the top of my case.

Sure, I can cancel the shutdown if I can do it in time, but it closes ALL of my apps that are open at the time, like my mouse button program, steam or any game, etc..

But is there any way to stop this? To make the cancel button useful?

Perhaps a two-step shutdown like something to ask you if you're sure you want to shutdown? I did try googling this, but it just came up with threads about Dells shutting down randomly.
If there is no setting I would greatly appreciate it if somebody included a trusty third party app for this.

Hope you can help thanks!

I really don't want to result to rearranging my setup or disconnecting the power button.

Solution
https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/7422/make-your-windows-7-pc-not-shutdown-when-you-accidentally-hit-the-power-button/ Just did a bit of research and this article looked helpful. It should also work in windows 10.

SugarPsycho

Reputable
Sep 12, 2015
You can literally unplug the power button from your motherboard, it makes it harder to hard restart your pc but it would have the desired effect, check your motherboard manual to see which one it is. (If you were to want to hard shut down you would be required to either unplug pc or get back into your case and press either the mobo power button or replug it in and turn it off then.) If you were to do this you would have to turn on the pc with the mobo power button.

Shock34

Reputable
Nov 1, 2015

Is there any other way? This was what I wanted to try to avoid if possible. Even though I don't use my power button often, It'd still be nice to have if I can ygm?

SugarPsycho

Reputable
Sep 12, 2015
https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/7422/make-your-windows-7-pc-not-shutdown-when-you-accidentally-hit-the-power-button/ Just did a bit of research and this article looked helpful. It should also work in windows 10.

Solution

Shock34

Reputable
Nov 1, 2015

That's better than unplugging the power button. Thanks dude. Will use that for now unless someone finds something else.

SugarPsycho

Reputable
Sep 12, 2015

I would agree with you the unplugging was just what I knew off the top of my head.