Two switches connected via wifi

Jun 30, 2018
Hello Peoples,

I need to borrow some brain cells. Here is the situation:

- Downstairs i have a router and a switch
- In my attic I have 2 security camera's that are connected to a POE switch

It would have been too costly to run a cable from the switch to the router in the basement due to the layout of the floor - so I decided to try and use the powerlines in the house to run down to the basement. That all worked fine for a bit - however I've started to get a lot of dropped packets and I've determined through my troubleshooting it has to do with the power lines carrying the network traffic (or the devices i'm using to connect to the powerlines).

Instead of taking a cable and running it through the walls which would be pretty expensive - is there a way i can connect the two switches together using wifi?

Solution
They use all three power wires and support MIMO.

If everything was fine for a while, look at every outlet near the PL adapters for large motors, which will cause noise in the data causing a big slowdown.

Some mesh networks are good and some are not depending on the available bands and existence of an isolated backhaul, if that works for you use it. As a general rule though wireless does a poor job of penetrating floors for a number of reasons.
Jun 30, 2018

Hello, thanks for the reply - the wifi between floors is actually not that bad since it's a mesh wifi-network... the units i'm using are the av500's (TP-Link TL-PA4010KIT AV500 Nano Powerline Adapter) .. any idea why the AV2-1000's might work out better?

Also - everything was working fine for a while, but I can't think of anything that was plugged in or changed... not sure if the AV2's would help here... thoughts?

RealBeast

Titan
They use all three power wires and support MIMO.

If everything was fine for a while, look at every outlet near the PL adapters for large motors, which will cause noise in the data causing a big slowdown.

Some mesh networks are good and some are not depending on the available bands and existence of an isolated backhaul, if that works for you use it. As a general rule though wireless does a poor job of penetrating floors for a number of reasons.

Solution