Question Two versions of Windows 10 on two SSDs (Question)

PahujaMemes

Prominent
Mar 18, 2019
Okay, so I currently have a 1TB SSD, and a 500GB SSD, both in my system. I want to keep my current Windows 10 version 2004 on my 1TB, while installing a Windows 10 version 1909 on the other SSD. Is it possible? I know the basics, as I've duel booted on my 1TB SSD before, but whenever I try to install a copy of Windows onto my 500gb SSD, it always has a booting problem. I can successfully take out my 1TB SSD, and just from scratch reinstall Windows on the 500GB SSD. Windows boots up find, and when I go back onto my Main 1TB SSD, its all good, but then switching back to the 500GB SSD just won't let me boot. When I launch via 500GB SSD as 1# option, it would go into like a recovery page, and say some file is missing, but like 2 minutes earlier, the Windows was working fine.

I tried to Google myself an answer, but found nothing. Only thing I found kinda related is how one OS will 'override' another OS? If in the same system? I'm not too sure whats going on. If anyone has any tips/answers, please let me know. If I didn't make it clear enough, I can rephrase it.

Thanks in advanced.

popatim

Titan
Try setting the drive for your everyday Win10 install as the default boot drive and when you want to boot to the other drive then use the boot override F-key at power on. You're probably set to Windows boot manager.

I'm not sure if this works if the bios is in UEFI mode. It definitely works in legacy mode but you'd have to reinstall all the OS's again.

Win10, Win7, & Ubuntu here, all on individual disks using boot override.

PahujaMemes

Prominent
Mar 18, 2019
Because I just wanna mess around with it to see what 2004 doesn't offer, and some other small things.

I'll try the set main HDD as boot, I assume you just mean my Main 1TB SSD as #1 Boot option?

Edit: @popatim OHH Do you mean the screen where it's completely blue, and gives me the option to boot between the two OSes? I don't get that... I'll give it another try now.