Two wifi adapters on one laptop???

Fiachra

Commendable
Mar 2, 2016
Hi,
I'm running a competition where the competitors enter their scores to the software on my laptop via their mobile devices. I do not want them to be able to access the internet via this router.
I, however, need to be able to upload the scores periodically via the same software to the wan - and herein lies my question:
If I have a dedicated router for the competitors (Rt2) sitting on x.x.10.x, and they see its SSID and can log to it, can I run a separate wifi dongle to the main router (Rt1)which is WAN enabled, but addressed as x.x.1.x, and unavailable to the competitors - and will I still be able to see both?
Will this ever work - or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Any help or advice here would be appreciated.

Solution

I couldn't get it to work on 2 x wireless adapters, but I think I have it running smoothly now by hard-wiring Rt2 to the laptop and accessing Rt1 via the wireless adapter.
Rt1 handles the Wan from the laptop and Rt2 cannot see the WAN but communicates with the competitors devices as needed, as I've done as you suggest re Gateway and DNS

Thank you for your assistance. :D

Fiachra

Commendable
Mar 2, 2016

Thanks Emerald,
Do you mean leave them both in the same range, but by not entering a gateway or DNS server I deny WAN access to the competitors while still allowing 2-way comms to their devices, and I access the Rt1 as normal - all DHCP handling done via Rt1?
If only my laptop is given permission by the venue to access Rt1, and I want my competitors to log on to my Rt2, would that create a DHCP snafu? Or can my Rt2 generate DHCP for the competitors independently?

Fiachra

Commendable
Mar 2, 2016

I couldn't get it to work on 2 x wireless adapters, but I think I have it running smoothly now by hard-wiring Rt2 to the laptop and accessing Rt1 via the wireless adapter.
Rt1 handles the Wan from the laptop and Rt2 cannot see the WAN but communicates with the competitors devices as needed, as I've done as you suggest re Gateway and DNS

Thank you for your assistance. :D

Solution