Question Two Year Old Corsair CX430 Has Intermittant Hum/Whine

Aug 7, 2018
If I tap the side of the PSU hard with a finger, it will stop for a while, but it always comes back. I've read about this, but never had a PSU that I owned actually do it. Was reading another post here two days ago and someone mentioned as an aside words to the effect that "the new CX430's are much better than the old ones". I asked a question about it in the middle of someone else's thread, and the comment got removed by a Mod for (obvious) thread hijacking. (No the Mod didn't use that term. He/She told me to "start my own thread", but I know what thread hijacking is and that's exactly what I was doing. Not my 1st rodeo on Tech forums...).

So here's my own thread. I want to know anything and everything about both PSU noises and specifically the quality and history of the CX430 (and related) power supplies.

What causes this noise? Is it a bad bearing in a fan? An electrical component burning up? Is this something I can ignore for years, or will it eventually kill my motherboard, CPU and video card? Should I panic? Start shopping? Or get used to it (lol).

Any information related to this will be much appreciated, and thanks in advance.

Was reading another post here two days ago and someone mentioned as an aside words to the effect that "the new CX430's are much better than the old ones".
I don't know what post you are referring to, but this review say that version 2 came out in 2011, and as far as I know the is no more recent version. Many people here would not use the term "new" for an 8 year old PSU.
I suspect your problems are due to its age and get a newer PSU, since this at the time was Corsairs low end product.

Aug 7, 2018
I don't know what post you are referring to, but this review say that version 2 came out in 2011, and as far as I know the is no more recent version. Many people here would not use the term "new" for an 8 year old PSU.
I suspect your problems are due to its age and get a newer PSU, since this at the time was Corsairs low end product.

"At the time" 8 years ago (version 1), or at the time 2 years ago (see title) version 2?

Either way, what's up with the noise. Why, how, etc...?

Ah, the old 'builder' series from Corsair. An entry level budget model for a home office pc. Users who bought these on the cheap for a gaming system are probably the ones who had the most problems. If yours is still even working today, you did better than most. I'd consider retiring it for an updated model. If you wait for it to fail, before replacing, it could take other parts down with it. If you want a recommendation for a new PSU then post your system specs.

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
CX430's actualy had decent reviews , but are too old now and aren't recommended for Today's hardware. Get a CX450 or 450M , the non modular is the better CX 450.

Aug 7, 2018
2 years old , but manufactured when :unsure::unsure::unsure:...A long time ago in a GALAXY FAR FAR AWAY!

Thanks I never thought of this.

Back in the day we had a software that would display all the voltages and temps as a graph over an extended period of time (say an hour). You could run the system, and then look back to see if anything was fluctuating, like the 12Volt rail, etc...

Forget it's name. Anything like that currently?

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Back in the day we had a software that would display all the voltages and temps as a graph over an extended period of time (say an hour). You could run the system, and then look back to see if anything was fluctuating, like the 12Volt rail, etc...

Forget it's name. Anything like that currently?
Hwinfo will do this,

download hwinfo64,
install and open it,
check "sensors-only",
click "run".

TRENDING THREADS