[SOLVED] Two-year old PC suddenly stopped working ?

Apr 16, 2021
I left My PC on sleep and came back a few hours later to see it turned on, but not showing any displays. I tried restarting it and found that the motherboard ez debug light vga was on and the system won’t boot. I’ve had this PC for over 2 years, and it has been working properly until now.

here are the specs;
Motherboard; MSI B350m Gaming pro
CPU; Ryzen 5 2600
GPU; MSI GTX 1070 (the white one)
RAM; 16gb (8gb panther + 8gb Vgen, both 2400MHz)
PSU; black widow 500w

it was just 5 months ago when I upgraded the GPU from MSI 1050 ti, CPU from ryzen 3 2200g, and added the extra ram, but it had never had any errors until now.

things i‘ve tried and were not successful:
- switching out the to my old 1050 ti
  • switching out to ryzen 3 2200g and removing the graphics cards, so hdmi is plugged to the motherboard
  • resetting the bios by shorting the pins thing

• reseating the 12V cpu cable
  • only plugging 1 ram on either ram slots
In all cases the ez debug light on vga was still on and the pc never showed any display on the screen

Last edited:
Solution
Swapping with a new PSU is the obvious thing to try. Hopefully the one you borrow is a better quality one than this; running a GTX 1070 on a cheap, group-regulated PSU with some really low-end capacitors is not a particularly good choice.
Was the computer unplugged when you reset the BIOS?
Have you tried booting with no drives connected to see if you can get into the BIOS?
Since the two sticks of RAM do not match, you should only use one stick for now.
Double check the Ram stick is pushed all the way down in it's slot, at both ends.

Apr 16, 2021
Was the computer unplugged when you reset the BIOS?
Have you tried booting with no drives connected to see if you can get into the BIOS?
Since the two sticks of RAM do not match, you should only use one stick for now.
Double check the Ram stick is pushed all the way down in it's slot, at both ends.

hi, the computer was plugged when I jumped the pins, and the psu switch at the back say on while the pc itself was off.

I have tried to remove all storage devices, but it won’t go into BIOS, and the ez debug light vga was on.

I have then tried to reseat all the wires from the PSU, with no luck.

I’m planning on borrowing my friend’s spare PSU to see if it’s the wires.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Swapping with a new PSU is the obvious thing to try. Hopefully the one you borrow is a better quality one than this; running a GTX 1070 on a cheap, group-regulated PSU with some really low-end capacitors is not a particularly good choice.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS