Question Tx and Rx Rates - Very Different

rhyalus

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
Hi All,

I just installed a new Wifi6 router (Asus RT-AX88U). It is working fine, but I have one oddity.

My Dell 7400 laptop and my Note 9 connect at very different speeds. My phone connects at 975 Mbps up and down, but the laptop (Intel Wifi 6 AX200 160MHz) is getting 143 Tx and 1201 Rx.

I have upgraded all of the drivers possible.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
R

kanewolf

Titan
Hi All,

I just installed a new Wifi6 router (Asus RT-AX88U). It is working fine, but I have one oddity.

My Dell 7400 laptop and my Note 9 connect at very different speeds. My phone connects at 975 Mbps up and down, but the laptop (Intel Wifi 6 AX200 160MHz) is getting 143 Tx and 1201 Rx.

I have upgraded all of the drivers possible.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
R
WIFI 6 is still real new. Could be a bug in the router or the card. Can you disable WIFI 6 and run the router as an AC only router? What link rates do you get then ?

rhyalus

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
WIFI 6 is still real new. Could be a bug in the router or the card. Can you disable WIFI 6 and run the router as an AC only router? What link rates do you get then ?

Hi and thanks for the thought provoking question. I was a few seconds away from installing Intel drivers for my adapter (as opposed to trusting that Dell's drivers were optimized for AX...)

I have to say, I have no idea what happened, but it seems to be resolved for now. One thing I did was replace an old Dlink Bridge (the firmware was from 2010!!) with my Netgear R7000... that should not have affected anything with the Dell wifi.

I also turned off Roaming Assistant (which terminates connections to low signal clients) - but that should not have affected the Dell which was sitting 3 feet from the router.

After several reboots, etc., the connections seem reasonable. I'll keep an eye on it.

Unfortunately, I can't find a forum dedicated to Asus routers.

Thanks,
R

Dell like many other companies does not really make anything any more. They pay other manufactures to glue together parts made by other manufactures.

Most wifi is completely independent of the main board so they do not have to deal with fcc certification of wifi stuff.

When you are dealing with very new technology like wifi6 the drivers directly from the chipset manufacture tend to be best. The computer manufacture most times is just taking the driver from the vendor and redistributing it. They likely do not have the source code for the firmware that runs inside the wifi unit anyway.

Routers work very similar. The wifi function is very isolated into the wifi chips and the OS just load a binary file into the wifi chip on boot.

Asus is pretty good about updates. On that particular router you could try the merlin firmware image. Although not a official release asus and the author are in direct contact. This firmware tends to be updated a little more often than the factory images.

rhyalus

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
The issue is back... totally random. And the speed effect is real... only 100-120Mbps when the problem occurs, but 300 Mbps when the link rates are ok.

I'll continue to experiment.

I noticed a reference to the merlin firmware. I will investigate further!

Thanks,
R