Tyan, saphire or HIS R9800 pro with zm-80c???

kemokim

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2001
Im about to buy a new card, and the 3 im lokking at are the ones from the topic,

Saphire 9800 pro 128mb
His 9800 pro 128mb
Tyan 9800 pro 128mb

they all cost about the same, but the Tyan has an included temp sensor...

iwe read the sticky and i see Saphire listed as a good brand,, but is it better than the 2 others??

and also does anyone know if the Zalman ZM-80C cooler fits??

kemokim

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2001
Yea iwe heard alot ok things about Saphire, just liked the idea about the internal heat probe, since im going to use a passive cooler... *probably with a fan mounted..

rook

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
Don't forget about the ones built by ATI. CompUSA currently has the 9800Pro for <A HREF="http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=302460&pfp=BROWSE" target="_new">$199.</A> Which is the cheapest price I've found on any 9800Pro. (From a manufacture I thrust)

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=23900" target="_new">System</A>
<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=2072215" target="_new">3DMark03</A>

kemokim

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2001
i forgot to mention i live in Denmark (Europe) so ATI issnt really a known manufactor over here..

the ones i listed are arround 300 - 330$ i know this is high, but since neweqq doesnt ship internationally and things shiped into the country usually get caught in costums + the fact, that RMA is a hell of a lot easier when the shop is arround the corner..

i guess im gonna go for the Saphire, due to what i read, it seems to be a good buy

kemokim

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2001
i forgot to mention i live in Denmark (Europe) so ATI issnt really a known manufactor over here..

the ones i listed are arround 300 - 330$ i know this is high, but since neweqq doesnt ship internationally and things shiped into the country usually get caught in costums + the fact, that RMA is a hell of a lot easier when the shop is arround the corner..

i guess im gonna go for the Saphire, due to what i read, it seems to be a good buy

lik

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2004
buy the one that have the biggest warranty. I think its saphyre.. Good brand!

P4-2800->FSB800, Asus P4P800, 512DDR-400, Radeon 9800 Pro - 128Mb

kemokim

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2001
All products in denmark have 2 years warranty, however if i put the zalman cooler on im pretty sure i forfeit the warranty... but again thats only if they can see i did it :p

pauldh

Illustrious
Can't say anything about the Zalman, but i'm thrilled with my Saphire R9800 Pro.

ABIT IS7, P4 2.6C, 512MB Corsair TwinX PC3200LL, Radeon 9800 Pro, Santa Cruz, TruePower 430watt

GeneticWeapon

Splendid
Jan 13, 2003
:smile: :smile: <A HREF="http://downloads.garyandnicole.net/PICT0011.jpg" target="_new"><b>ZALMAN</b></A> :smile: :smile:

<A HREF="http://rmitz.org/AYB3.swf" target="_new">All your base are belong to us.</A>
<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=1819095" target="_new"><b>3DMark03</b></A>

Tyan's Temperature sensor is inside the HSF, so if you're replacing it, then that's out.

The Sapphire and the HIS are about the same quality.

I'd go with the cheapest of the 3.

TYAN has very good quality software and products, but the ones with the thermal monitoring can have slower RAM. Same with Sapphire, they can have a bunch of different RAM modules.

But I'd put all three around the same level of quality. Sapphire is just bigger than the other two.

As for the Zalman fitting, why yes... yes it will. Many people here have added them to their rigs.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

kemokim

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2001
thanx for all the replies.. i have just ordered the Saphire card for 375$
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Kemokim on 02/20/04 05:43 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

baldurga

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2002
That makes me think about a silly idea I have in mind ...

A non-profitable organization of (for example) students from all Europe that, when travel to USA (usually due to exchange programs of their University), buy electronics for other people and take to Europe. Then send to the final buyers.

There should be a good organization. People should give the money in advance, people travelling should have some compromise that they will do what it is supposed, no wasting the money! Some fees for the service will be for the guy travelling with the goods.

Think about the margin, it's great enough for make everybody happy. And here we have a current example:

- Kemokin Saphire card costs 375$
- the SAME card at newegg 229$

An incredible $145 difference! Give $45 to the travelling guy and still is $100 less, more than 25% less!

An someone doing this for 5 people could afford 45x5= $225. Hey, a the same card for free for the travelling guy!

That would be GREAT!

Still looking for a <b>good online retailer</b> in Spain :frown:

baldurga

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2002
Yes, because you can buy personal products for you. There is a limit for the total amount of $ you can spend, but is quite high. But they never care if you buy electronics, in fact you are creating wealth in USA. And in not a drug or any secret weapon. Also you can distribute it on your luggage, they don't look at it.

I have done it last time I went to USA. I bought 2 HD of 160Gb, 1 stick of 512MB DDR PC3200, digital camera retail(Canon S400), 3 CF cards of 256Mb, 1 CF of 512Mb, USB bluetooth devide, 128Mb pendrive and finally a card reader for my tower. <b>ALL togheter in one suitcase</b>

Obviously not everything was for me. I don't mine to buy things for other people, maybe next time another person will do the same for me. That's what should be behind this non-profitable organization.

Still looking for a <b>good online retailer</b> in Spain :frown: