[SOLVED] Type 4 - 8pin into 8+6pin

Oct 18, 2018
Hi,

I bought a RTX 2070 card that has an 8+6 pin power input. I noticed I didn't have the required cables (i think) so I found an 8 pin Type 4 cable and connected that to the PSU, then I took the 8+6 pin end and plugged that into the GPU. Now, I'm not the greatest at mathematics but 8 is not the same as 6+8, and what does type 4 mean (i noticed it was missing one pin, which I assume is on purpose).

A nice visual representation of my cable-situation:

(PSU end)

OOOO----------------------------------------------OOO / OOOO
OOOO----------------------------------------------OOO / OOOO (GPU end)

(Type 4)

Regards,
Me

Solution
Can you link to the power supply and cable that you got?
If the cable is designed for the power supply, then its fine.
My PSU's PCIe cables are 6 pin PSU end into dual 6+2. (Just to clarify for anyone coming across this thread, this is not an adapter)
Can you link to the power supply and cable that you got?
If the cable is designed for the power supply, then its fine.
My PSU's PCIe cables are 6 pin PSU end into dual 6+2. (Just to clarify for anyone coming across this thread, this is not an adapter)

Solution

VADemon

Honorable
Jul 6, 2014
Same story as @Gam3r01: my PSU has 6+2 cables that look like "OOOOOO|OO" - so you can either connect it as an 8-pin or a 6-pin and leave 2 extra pins hanging.
Missing pin in the connector is probably normal, but I didn't read the standards. In terms of PSU: it will all work, it exposes 8-pins total anyway. You should've specified your PSU and wattage but there shouldn't be problems.

Same story as @Gam3r01: my PSU has 6+2 cables that look like "OOOOOO|OO" - so you can either connect it as an 8-pin or a 6-pin and leave 2 extra pins hanging.
Missing pin in the connector is probably normal, but I didn't read the standards. In terms of PSU: it will all work, it exposes 8-pins total anyway. You should've specified your PSU and wattage but there shouldn't be problems.
But the gpu still needs an additonal 6 pin+ the 6+2.