[SOLVED] types of disck deletion

anaturelover

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012
HI ,
i read there are different types of errasing, DELETE , WiPE FORMAT ERASE . and also there seems to be deeper deletion removing all data forever.
iwould like to understand how it work.
1 can you explain me?
2 i have been told that linux has partiton that some software including win can not see. is it true. if so i would be better with an open source software right?
3 i have a hdd on wich there is a brocken linux version. i would like know what tupe of deletion is necessary to erase everyting cause i want to avoid futur conflit on this disk since ill install windows on it.

Last edited:
Solution
i understand what you say. i do have a different point of vue .
once i have told bios to boot from dvd(where gparted is ) what will i have to click and choose?

Start the setup, go to Advanced disk options, delete all partitions there and click next to start the OS setup.

Not sure how there could be a different view on this, either way deletes what is on the disk, one way you just do the same work twice. I don't know anyone that would want to do double the work for the same result. You go with some utility boot disk, wipe the disk. Then you go to install Windows, which allows you to wipe the disk. Same thing, one takes double the time. Or if you image a disk, the imaging program dumps the image file on a disk...
Most such worry comes from fear of others running data recovery programs and getting to useful private data such as financial data, etc...and those fears are not unfounded, as 'deleting' data merely marks that space as avaialable for writing over, and does not really get rid of it.

Truly getting rid of it requires overwriting the data...

As for your specific question on clearing a disk sufficiently for 'starting over' with a new OS, said disk may simply have existing file systems/partitions 'deleted' at the WIndows installer until all available space shows as 'unformatted', then merely copying over it with a new default quick format, and requires only a few seconds... It is not necessary to overwrite any old data/file systems prior to doing so.

anaturelover

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012
your suggesting to use WIndows installer to format. right.

the thing is since i have a difficult installation ahead i want to put all chaces on my side to eliminate the why it could not work

do you know dban and can it wipe specific partitions( cause i know it can wipe the entirety of a disk already.

also will dban work with win and linux and see everything since it is open source?

RolandJS

Reputable
Mar 10, 2017
Booting and using DBAN definitely will overwrite every sector, even its one-pass choice will do so. How large is the HDD? Depending upon HDD size and level of overwrite chosen, children or grandchildren can power computer down when DBAN is finished :)

anaturelover

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012
Booting and using DBAN definitely will overwrite every sector, even its one-pass choice will do so. How large is the HDD? Depending upon HDD size and level of overwrite chosen, children or grandchildren can power computer down when DBAN is finished :)
size 500gb. what do you mean by n, children or grandchildren can power computer down when DBAN is finished

anaturelover

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012
Please describe this, so that maybe we can suggest a way forward.
a part of me is reluctant do do so because i really want to become autonomous to wipe a disk and sometime in forum people say Do this and you dont really learn in the process , you just execute.
So my intention is try to paste an image of win7 to see if my image back up works.

after ill have to wipe again to try a clean installation of win 10
and maybe later when Ill buy a ssd i ll have to wipe it again to install linux .

but for now it is just to wipe everything from linux to paste an image win7.
And the reason i foresee a diffucult installation is that my p6t deluxe v2 is not officially supported yet i read some are able to workaround

USAFRet

Titan
a part of me is reluctant do do so because i really want to become autonomous to wipe a disk and sometime in forum people say Do this and you dont really learn in the process , you just execute.
So my intention is try to paste an image of win7 to see if my image back up works.

after ill have to wipe again to try a clean installation of win 10
and maybe later when Ill buy a ssd i ll have to wipe it again to install linux .

but for now it is just to wipe everything from linux to paste an image win7.
And the reason i foresee a diffucult installation is that my p6t deluxe v2 is not officially supported yet i read some are able to workaround
Us out here giving you a way forward still means that you have to learn to use whatever tools might be suggested.

A bootable WIN 10 can let you delete ALL partitions on the target drive. Yes, this works.
Or, DBAN (if not an SSD)
Or, if an SSD, whatever Secure Erase function might be provided by the manufacturer.
Or, from another Windows PC, and this drive connected via USB or whatever...the commandline function diskpart and the clean command. Or clean all.

Yes...any of those methods will leave you with a blank drive, ready to install whatever OS you choose.

How did you make this "win 7 image"? With what tool?

anaturelover

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012
Us out here giving you a way forward still means that you have to learn to use whatever tools might be suggested.

A bootable WIN 10 can let you delete ALL partitions on the target drive. Yes, this works.
Or, DBAN (if not an SSD)
Or, if an SSD, whatever Secure Erase function might be provided by the manufacturer.
Or, from another Windows PC, and this drive connected via USB or whatever...the commandline function diskpart and the clean command. Or clean all.

Yes...any of those methods will leave you with a blank drive, ready to install whatever OS you choose.

How did you make this "win 7 image"? With what tool?
what about gparted? what kind of deletion can it do cause it looks polyvalent.

what about gparted? what kind of deletion can it do cause it looks polyvalent.

You don't need to do anything you are trying to do in order to do a clean setup of Windows or restore an image on the disk. Start the Windows setup, go to the advanced disk options and delete all the partitions shown there. Then click Next to start the Windows setup. When you are restoring an image you are also dumping the image file over the disk which wipes out whatever was on the disk before.

Using a bunch of other utilities to first delete data or do a wipe on a disk is like washing dishes before you smash them and throw them out, just extra useless work.

anaturelover

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012
You don't need to do anything you are trying to do in order to do a clean setup of Windows or restore an image on the disk. Start the Windows setup, go to the advanced disk options and delete all the partitions shown there. Then click Next to start the Windows setup. When you are restoring an image you are also dumping the image file over the disk which wipes out whatever was on the disk before.

Using a bunch of other utilities to first delete data or do a wipe on a disk is like washing dishes before you smash them and throw them out, just extra useless work.
once i have told bios to boot from dvd(where gparted is ) what will i have to click and choose?

Start the setup, go to Advanced disk options, delete all partitions there and click next to start the OS setup.

Not sure how there could be a different view on this, either way deletes what is on the disk, one way you just do the same work twice. I don't know anyone that would want to do double the work for the same result. You go with some utility boot disk, wipe the disk. Then you go to install Windows, which allows you to wipe the disk. Same thing, one takes double the time. Or if you image a disk, the imaging program dumps the image file on a disk over-writing what is there. So if you wipe that disk first it will over-write it, but if you don't, it will still over-write it.

Only time it makes sense to use a utility to wipe a disk is if you are disposing of the system and want to ensure nothing is gotten off the disk, but then you may as well just destroy the disk with a hammer.

Last edited:
Solution

TRENDING THREADS