Types of IP addresses confusion.

Sep 25, 2018
I am really confused about ip addresses. Theres ipv4, ipv6, then theres a public ip then the ip that the router gives to every computer (192.168.1.1-250), every site i try to use to find my ip gives me a different one. Anyways can someone explain the types of ips. Also which ones aren't safe to give out on the internet because of ddosing?

Solution
That is a topic best researched on wiki.

In the end it doesn't really matter too much. You have no real control over the IP address you are using. The ISP give you the IPs you are using on the internet. There is no ip that is safe from DDOS but pretty much the only reason that would ever work is someone hates you enough to spend money to attack you.
That is a topic best researched on wiki.

In the end it doesn't really matter too much. You have no real control over the IP address you are using. The ISP give you the IPs you are using on the internet. There is no ip that is safe from DDOS but pretty much the only reason that would ever work is someone hates you enough to spend money to attack you.

Solution
Don't give out your IPv6 IP, don't give out your IPv4 PUBLIC WAN IP, but sometimes you have no choice right if u are running some kind of server, just don't post it for general public.

192... blah-blah and the rest are called RFC 1918 PRIVATE IP and nobody cares about those but you, for troubleshooting purposes.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
the 192.168.blah blah ones are typically your LAN side of the network. All your local devices. Generally speaking you will be using a modem/router that will be the "1" in that address set, the connection to WAN. Most of the time your 'modem' will be .1 and then all the connected devices typically start at .100 (not decimals, IP addy)

So, then your modem is connected to your ISP who assign you an IP address. For that address to be the same every single time you connect you have to pay your ISP for what is called a "static" IP address. This is handy for people hosting websites, file servers, etc. The reason you are getting a different address at these sites is that your dynamic IP is changing as you surf around.

Another way to "find" a dynamic IP is to use an IP updater. You install a small program on your computer that updates your current IP to their service. When you surf to "you" it's actually them and then they forward you to your IP.

following along?