News U.S. Forces Intel to Pause Shipments to Leading Server Maker

cfbcfb

Reputable
Jan 17, 2020
Seems those in charge didn't notice that China is making its own x86 chips, server boards. etc. Big loss to Intel and the US. Not even going to make China blink when they use their own for less.

Deicidium369

Permanantly banned.
BANNED
Mar 4, 2020
IF they are making Intel stop what makes you think that AMD is an option. The issue is that Inspur is a Chinese company - not anything to do with Intel,

Reactions: artk2219

Nick_C

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
While the US can block x86 chip sales to China (because Intel and AMD are US companies), I doubt the same can be said of ARM chips - as ARM is owned by a Japanese company. We could see an acceleration towards ARM based servers due to unilateral measures taken by the US - and that would very likely have a negative effect on the earnings of those US companies affected by the export ban.

Zarax

Reputable
Apr 30, 2020
This will likely accelerate local investments in Zhaoxin, we might end up with a competent 3rd CPU player in the x86 market in less than 5 years.

mradr

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2011
While China is making its own chips now - it is years away from the same level as AMD and Intel. Even if they're on the same node - small samples that make it out shows that its no where near the same performance as the big companies. ARM on the other hand could see its play in this market grow, but Japan is not happy with China either as other countries grow more and more stern on putting pressure on China to make changes to fit the world economy.

Deicidium369

Permanantly banned.
BANNED
Mar 4, 2020
While the US can block x86 chip sales to China (because Intel and AMD are US companies), I doubt the same can be said of ARM chips - as ARM is owned by a Japanese company. We could see an acceleration towards ARM based servers due to unilateral measures taken by the US - and that would very likely have a negative effect on the earnings of those US companies affected by the export ban.
The largest market outside of the US is China - they have already stolen and bought IP from AMD. So they will not be moving to ARM. The US can obviously buy Intel - so no pressure to move or accelerate the move to ARM - eventually one of the many many failed attempts at a viable ARM server chip may produce something usable - but will not supplant Intel or the trillions of lines of code written for it.

This is all a ruse. What Trumpo plans on doing in September or October is announce that the "Trade War" with China is over, and that he single handedly brought the Chinese to the bargaining table and got an amazing deal... But this from a man who thinks that when he placed tariffs on China, that China was sending the US Treasury $$$... At any rate, it will all end on January 20th 2021 a little after noon.

bwohl

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2008
I agree, China goes backward without x86 chips. People think ARM? Japan hates China thanks to WW2 and the South China Sea encroachments. Our great President has challenged the CCP for the benefit of future America. The intellectual theft
expanded under the Obama admin.
I’ll meet you here Jan 20th at 6pm EST - I work for a living.

Jul 3, 2020
lmao what? I can't tell if what you just said is a horrible troll post or just terribly biased/misinformed. Japan hates China for WWII now? For what? Being a total pushover and getting invaded and mascred so easily? Do the Germans also hate the french, Poland and the netherlands for getting invaded and occupied so easily too in WWII?

I seriously doubt the these multinational conglomerates care about geopolitical tensions and would do business in a heartbeat if it weren't for federal governments watching their backs

outsider2k21

Reputable
Jul 3, 2020
I agree, China goes backward without x86 chips. People think ARM? Japan hates China thanks to WW2 and the South China Sea encroachments. Our great President has challenged the CCP for the benefit of future America. The intellectual theft

WTH . Japan hates China thanks to WW2?... Dude.. you need to check history.. Japan is part of Axis poweres in WW2. It is the other way around that China hates Japan as Japan invaded China in WW2.

This will likely accelerate local investments in Zhaoxin, we might end up with a competent 3rd CPU player in the x86 market in less than 5 years.
It's not a time issue for zhaoxin,all the patents are belong to intel,amd and probably even still IBM,to get anywhere near comparable performance they would have to get access to those patents which will never happen.
Right now,if I'm not mistaken,up to 80486 tech is patent expired and you are not going to get good performance with that.

Deicidium369

Permanantly banned.
BANNED
Mar 4, 2020
They have AMD's Ryzen IP - there is nothing to stop them from developing their x86/64 as a fork. They would not care about outside markets - just the domestic. Great President? He is a circus monkey at best - and has done nothing - the moron thinks that the Chinese are sending checks to the Treasury to pay for the tatiff's. His plan is an October Surprise - say that he got a great deal and brought China to it's knees - just like he will at the same timeframe say there is a Covid-19 vaccine available - neither will be true or based in facts.

As far as WW2 - you have things mixed up - the Japanese tortured and killed many many Chinese - and getting Asians to hate other Asians is not a heavy lift. The Japanese consider the Koreans to be subhuman, the Chinese consider half of their population to be less than etc.

TRENDING THREADS