News U.S. government addresses critical workforce shortages for the semiconductor industry with new program

atmapuri

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011
This is considered as a given (that there will be enough workers), but is in fact not sure at all how this will be achieved. The US and EU are in the similar position to that of the Roman Empire 2000 year ago, where the slave labor force was drying up and there was simply no work force anymore. Anywhere!

Reactions: Notton

abufrejoval

Reputable
Jun 19, 2020
I can't imagine that any amount of money (carrot) could make me walk around 60 hours a week in a plastic suit.
Unless you face starvation or Asian school tuition fees (stick).
I guess that's why they make more chips that kids these days and play Sims instead.

abufrejoval

Reputable
Jun 19, 2020
Imagine if US removed the RR era change that destroyed college system and allowed people to attend college & thus having many more people for these type of jobs...
While I was in the US when Ronny came into office (and my dad had to suffer the $ exchange rate going up as a consequence), neither I nor my kids had or have to pay tons of money to go to university. And we both even had the choice (not always taken) of going to a good university reachable from the family home and thus with nearly zero living expenses.

And while I suffered a childhood without computers (like Ronny, they came later), they had computers before they learned to write.

That still didn't have them follow me into IT or any engineering field.

That could be lazy, but I hated Math, too. I love technology, but they are mostly into gaming and way better at it than I.

Tech has lost a lot of appeal and trust, that as an engineer you'll be able to have a good life for life.

I blame RR for a lot of things, but pushing that on him doesn't seem as forgone a conclusion to me as it seems for you.

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
While this is a step in the right direction, but I do think it is too late. The problem is that the govt threw money to attract fabs to onshore in the US, and those fabs are planned to come to production in the next few years. Training a workforce that will only be ready in 3 or 4 years time is late. What I foresee is that you have a bunch of foreign talents that will dominate such roles due to the gap now, which then leaves the fresh grads with roles that may be unattractive when they graduate.

Jul 3, 2024
This is considered as a given (that there will be enough workers), but is in fact not sure at all how this will be achieved. The US and EU are in the similar position to that of the Roman Empire 2000 year ago, where the slave labor force was drying up and there was simply no work force anymore. Anywhere!
America has always had a labor shortage, that's why slavery worked here longer than it did in a lot of other places. The solution to a labor shortage is innovation. We need to replace worker-intensive processes with simpler builds and more automation. America's biggest advantage in the world has always been our pragmatic outlook and can-do spirit. Rome lost that because cheap plentiful slaves made innovation unnecessary.

TRENDING THREADS