U.S. Government Restricting Supercomputer Chip Exports To China

Status
Not open for further replies.
"The real reason could be that China has also increased its restrictions and demands for U.S. companies lately. One of the more recent demands is requiring companies to allow access to their software source code in order for the Chinese government to verify it for backdoors. The demand also includes adding ways to monitor their users and handing the government the private keys to encryption. U.S. companies along with the White House have decried the new requirements as invasive."

Oh, come on. Sounds like China is just trying to keep up with the NSA.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Not sure how it is news that they've added to the list. Seems like business as usual. There are many CPUs and other type of chips that can't be exported to China and other countries. Some of them are just proscribed because they can be used to develop self guided weapons. Others for the ability for reasonably timely decryption capabilities.

Doug Lord

Honorable
Jan 8, 2014
We need to embrace China and welcome them to a triparte with US and the EU. They are going to be a power. We need to be friends.

kenjitamura

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012
With China's lack of reverence for all things copyright I'm surprised they haven't already started building fabs to produce their own X86 chips. I mean yeah they'll be years or even decades behind AMD and Intel at first but they got to start somewhere and they could even start poaching retired and active engineers from AMD and Intel.

lol it anit like its near all made in china any way so they got all that they need there and china hackers done got in to the servers and got all the tech data and prints then the gov will send them off under the table to them to help reduce the national debt we owe to them -- it is to laugh

jasonelmore

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
Now I suppose the Chinese will stop exporting rare-earth metals to the US in retaliation. Aren't all the computer chips assembled in China anyway?

Chinese only put all the parts together. They can manufacture just about anything, but their foundry tech is pretty much non-existent.

Alpha3031

Honorable
Nukes my ass. China already has nukes. They want to stop China getting nuclear power plants so they can keep using China's emissions as an excuse for staying out of Kyoto. Their other excuse is that climate change doesn't exist, which might work well for now.

Of course, that was pure speculation.

greddyu

Reputable
Apr 11, 2015
US think that banning intel to source directly 1000 CPU to China it can stop China to get his hands on 1000 Xeon ??? you can travel with 1000 Xeon in a bag easy... any china official can go in East europe, buy 1000 xeons and get around the ban...
All the mainboards are sourced at taiwan/China factories... so get it will be a no problem at all...
Tianhe-2 was built on E5v2 ahead of his official launch... swap the mobo/CPU with the Broadwell based exon that soon wil be available...

RobWHS

Reputable
Jun 3, 2014

LOL, you may be right. I've seen the Diplomats with large black shoulder bags going through the airports on my travels. Might ask them to sell me a couple of E5's next time I encounter them.

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006

LOL, you may be right. I've seen the Diplomats with large black shoulder bags going through the airports on my travels. Might ask them to sell me a couple of E5's next time I encounter them.
Who says that they even need to go that far: Just make a big package, MacGyver it with something innocuous (a vase, etc.) in it and then have a secret compartment with a bunch of these chips in the bottom.
Nearly impossible to prevent. The United States is just doing this to be an asshole to China.

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
Now I suppose the Chinese will stop exporting rare-earth metals to the US in retaliation. Aren't all the computer chips assembled in China anyway?
Actually, this is not that big of a deal since the US announced that they were going to reopen a California rare-earth mine. With the prices of rare-earths where they are now, the California mine has become economical again.

civers1

Honorable
May 8, 2013
"The real reason could be that China has also increased its restrictions and demands for U.S. companies lately. One of the more recent demands is requiring companies to allow access to their software source code in order for the Chinese government to verify it for backdoors. The demand also includes adding ways to monitor their users and handing the government the private keys to encryption. U.S. companies along with the White House have decried the new requirements as invasive."

Oh, come on. Sounds like China is just trying to keep up with the NSA.

lol. Thats exactly what I was just thinking!! So they are worried about their privacy being invaded, but the privacy of the rest of us taxpayers Be DAMNED!

Status
Not open for further replies.