News U.S. Govt Blacklists Chinese Tech Firms Loongson and Inspur

Status
Not open for further replies.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Loongson is a major CPU developer from China, which has for years used the MIPS instruction set architecture (ISA)
I'm not sure that's very accurate. From what I've read, the ISA might have some similarities with MIPS, but I think the main thing it borrows is the system-level architecture.

There was some heated debate, in the Linux community, about whether Loongson should be treated as its own architecture or a variation of MIPS. In the course of those exchanges, I think there was a fair amount of people talking across each other, with one one side saying "the ISA is not like MIPS", and yet much of the kernel support was copy-pasted, because the system architecture was indeed heavily derivative.

Reactions: gg83

icmn223

Commendable
Apr 8, 2020
Too little to late. They needed to get the jump on this decades ago. My former company Nortel which was once the largest Canadian company was put out of business by Huawei after CCP hackers turned over the IP they stole to them. Not only that but, Huawei took over their huge campus in Canada and hired many of Nortel's former scientists/researchers/engineers. Looks like a major failure on the part of Western leaders to mitigate these kinds of issues which is quickly becoming an existential threat.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
In addition to Inspur and Loongson, the BIS of the U.S. DoC added 35 more entities from Belarus (1), Burma (3), China (26), Pakistan (4), Russia (1), and Taiwan () into the Entity List.
Huh? You're at 35 without Taiwan, so I assume they're 0 and thus shouldn't have been included?

TheOtherOne

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2013
Remember folks when Murican Govt. spies on the whole world (all those backdoors in Intel and AMD chips is one of many examples), then it's "The Matter of National Security" but if any other country spies even on it's on people then it's all about "Human Rights Violation" and "Freedom of Speech" and of course let's gather allied forces to invade those terrible terrible dictators on the name of Peace! 😋😋😎😎

Ravestein NL

Great
Jan 26, 2023
Remember folks when Murican Govt. spies on the whole world (all those backdoors in Intel and AMD chips is one of many examples), then it's "The Matter of National Security" but if any other country spies even on it's on people then it's all about "Human Rights Violation" and "Freedom of Speech" and of course let's gather allied forces to invade those terrible terrible dictators on the name of Peace! 😋😋😎😎

I thought so too. It's all about power and USA wants to be the highest power in the world that's all there is to it. There is no freedom anymore, nowhere. Europe is very busy with their digital identity and digital currency so they can control everyone. It is what it is!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS