U.S. Immigration Dumps 17,600 BlackBerrys for iPhones

Status
Not open for further replies.

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
[citation][nom]scannall[/nom]RIM died a long time ago. It just didn't have the good manners to lay down.[/citation]

Hate to say it but it seems that way. There is very little point to go with blackberry's now days as there seems to ways to make iphones/androids just as secure to my knowledge. And more people understand how to use one so it's less hassle for most employees/people I've seen.

G

Why the heck am I paying for these P.O.S.'s to have a smart phones. All the companies in the private sector make their employee's pay for everything but a single PC and maybe for cell phone SERVICE... IF you have a business justification for even needing a cell phone. Nothing unexpected, when you itsn't your money you just waste it away. Also, what do we need with 17,600 employees to infectively patrol the boarders. Just fine the employers who hire illegals and FIRE ALL OF THE IMMIGRATION!!

invlem

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
How long until they get hacked?

Seriously if there's one thing RIM still has on eveyone else, its security, especially for a branch of law enforcement I kind of figured that would be on the top of their list for features... Guess not...

Just wait until they have to tie the phone in with their business applications such as email. Their IT group is going to have a heart attack trying to manage 25,000 iPhones. With RIM securing (wiping) a lost device is quite literally a couple clicks away. Even better transferring the user's contacts & data is just as easy when you get the new device.... Last time i tried to transfer stuff from one apple device to another I had a nightmare of a time...

deftonian

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
Way to go US Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency... $2.1 million could have hired a lot of people to help enforce immigration law vs phones so they can play angry birds on the job.

shqtth

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
Yes give them all an iPhone so we can hack them ;)

And they wont know they have been hacked as they will be bust playing angry birds !

rdc85

Honorable
RIM died from high class segment to became some common phone IMO.

Anyways, I kinda hard to find a logic why they switched?

to follow the trend? it's more safer phone? it's more cheaper phone? or what?

Darkk

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
[citation][nom]invlem[/nom]How long until they get hacked?Seriously if there's one thing RIM still has on eveyone else, its security, especially for a branch of law enforcement I kind of figured that would be on the top of their list for features... Guess not...Just wait until they have to tie the phone in with their business applications such as email. Their IT group is going to have a heart attack trying to manage 25,000 iPhones. With RIM securing (wiping) a lost device is quite literally a couple clicks away. Even better transferring the user's contacts & data is just as easy when you get the new device.... Last time i tried to transfer stuff from one apple device to another I had a nightmare of a time...[/citation]

Actually when users configured the e-mail client on the Android to use the Microsoft Exchange it prompts the user a notice to say that the admins will have the ability to wipe your phone if necessary. The user has to agree to it otherwise connection to Exchange will be denied.

I do see this being an option in the Microsoft Exchange console so it's already there. It doesn't wipe the phone but it does remove all traces of e-mails, contacts and etc that is related to exchange.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]dyc4ha[/nom]wasting taxpayers on money... what could they possibly need that the old bb couldnt offer? play the latest games? sighs...[/citation]

Wasting taxpayers on money? I would give you a pass as that just being a typo, but given what is wrong with the rest of the post, I doubt it was a typo.

With the US being filled with people like you, it's fucked.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
"for more than 17,600 employees, equaling a total purchase price of $2.1 million"

That's less than $120 per iPhone ?
Something must be wrong with these numbers.

a little black duck

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2011
[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]"for more than 17,600 employees, equaling a total purchase price of $2.1 million"That's less than $120 per iPhone ?Something must be wrong with these numbers.[/citation]
Not necessarily, apple may have sold them at cost. (which just goes to show how much of a mark up apple put on their products)

kensingtron

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2011
FYI Samsung's Galaxy S III has full data incryption, can be tracked and wiped if stolen.

I thought apple was full of security holes and simply seemed secure due to the lack of virus, and hacking presence in its ecosystem.

Status
Not open for further replies.