U.S. Military Cyber Chief Calls For Cyber Force

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

It's probably too late to START focusing on this...

Also, first!

G

Lol. What a moronic "cyber-chief". Why don't we stop wasting money on defense and start putting it into education. Military victories do not equate into or require better education.

RooD

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2004
Maybe if we kept our nose out everyone's business and stopped policing the world we wouldn't have to worry about being attacked.

my 3.14159265¢

iamtheking123

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
[citation][nom]RooD[/nom]Maybe if we kept our nose out everyone's business and stopped policing the world we wouldn't have to worry about being attacked.my 3.14159265¢[/citation]
That's not how it works, citation: pre 9/11. Regardless I'm sure you're the same type that screams out of Iraq, into Sudan/Myanmar/whatever other shithole.

Speaking to the article, sounds like he's a little too interested in the "bridge" between private sector and government network command.

jprahman

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
We'd be attacked anyway. I do agree with the idea that we need to be involved less in other's affairs, but the motives of many of those who target our infrastructure and national secrets(industrial, technological, military, financial, and governmental ones), are not always motivated by the actions we take abroad.

LORD_ORION

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
...and quickly after that this would be aimed at controlling US citizens rather than protecting them.

Here's a better idea, build a better internet protocol... but we couldn't have that now could we? A secure network protocol would mean that we wouldn't be able to spy on our allies/enemies/citizens either.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Every high school graduate in America should have to take and pass Calculus, Physics, and Chemistry. If you can't pass those three courses at some point throughout high school then you don't graduate. If that means little bobby who is just oh so bad at math doesn't get to graduate, rack up $150k in college student loans, and then go off to make $20k a year as a painter then so be it.

And if you really want to put blame on someone put blame on the PARENTS. The parents say it is okay for their children to be coddled. We are educating American children based on the least common denominator. The stupidest kid in the class decides the curriculum and the pace of the course when it should be the exact opposite.

jprahman

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
Yeah, you wouldn't believe how unintelligent some of the kids in some of my college classes are. I'm shocked that these people even go to college. The only reason I can think why they go is so they can hang out with their friends and party.

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]Every high school graduate in America should have to take and pass Calculus, Physics, and Chemistry. [/citation]

Im all for teaching kids to be better in the world of today but physics and chemistry? and i honestly think calculus is a bit far not everyone wants to be a physicist.

Maybe teach them how to do math they use on a regular basis algebra should be bare minimum not sure what chemistry and physics would help. Unless they went into a field using them. How about how to read some history which we as a country seem to have forgotten. Though i am one of the people that wanted to learn these things you suggested along with all kinds of theoretical physics.

Memoscorp

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2010
[citation][nom]EnFoRceR22[/nom]Im all for teaching kids to be better in the world of today but physics and chemistry? and i honestly think calculus is a bit far not everyone wants to be a physicist. Maybe teach them how to do math they use on a regular basis algebra should be bare minimum not sure what chemistry and physics would help. Unless they went into a field using them. How about how to read some history which we as a country seem to have forgotten. Though i am one of the people that wanted to learn these things you suggested along with all kinds of theoretical physics.[/citation]

I don't know where you're from, but in New York City, we had to learn calculus, physics, and chemistry... but then again, I went to a specialized high school.

jj463rd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]Every high school graduate in America should have to take and pass Calculus, Physics, and Chemistry. If you can't pass those three courses at some point throughout high school then you don't graduate. If that means little bobby who is just oh so bad at math doesn't get to graduate, rack up $150k in college student loans, and then go off to make $20k a year as a painter then so be it. And if you really want to put blame on someone put blame on the PARENTS. The parents say it is okay for their children to be coddled. We are educating American children based on the least common denominator. The stupidest kid in the class decides the curriculum and the pace of the course when it should be the exact opposite.[/citation]
I pretty much agree with you here.Great point.Perhaps we could bring back the military draft for those incapable of passing these courses and just use them as grunts (fodder).

zoridon

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2005
First of all not all children are capable of learning physics, calculus, and chemistry. I do agree that a great deal more emphasis needs to be applied in these fields and incentives provided to steer those with talent into these fields. I also find equal need to teach history so that these future einsteins don't repeat the mistakes of their parents. Not the revisionist "Blame America First" history either. I'd like to think of these future brainiacs as a weapon, with history providing the training so they don't shoot the wrong person. Nothing is more dangerous than a highly educated person without common sense. These kind of people build weapons without being able to consider the law of unintended consequences or take into account basic human behavior. For example; lets make healthcare free. Sounds great on paper, but in practice its a house of cards that will collapse over time as it is abused.

tatttech

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011
Having been on both the college side of things, the techonological side of things, and the "grunt" military side of things, currently reenlisted; I feel as though some of these statements provide absolutely no evidence that the users posting them possess any forms of life experience or intelligence. Not everyone is capable of immediate adaptation to the math and science world. Diversity fuels the planet. If everyone was a forum-lurking close-minded half wit, like some of the people here, there'd be no doctors, lawyers, technicians, people to develop this very technology. How many kids do you all have that are making these statements? Also - military grunt fodder? If you're indicating the military doesn't harbor people with high degrees and IQ's, you are again demonstrating your lack of general knowledge regarding what's going on around you.

bayouboy

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
@Zoidon

Well, if they can't pass Chemistry, Calculus, or Physics then they don't graduate High School. Its that simple. Most countries around the world already do this. The US needs to stay competitive and coddling people into thinking that everyone can go to college while being bad at chemistry, calculus, and physics is exactly what is wrong in this country.

I have actually had people tell me that they were never good at math or sciences and act like that is a good thing! If you are illiterate you are berated, the same should be for the math and sciences. We no longer live in a world where it is acceptable to mock and be ignorant of the sciences.

We need to stop holding back students that do well and put students can't do well into vocational schools.

dgingeri

Distinguished
As long as we have evil, power hungry, incompetent english teachers hating and holding back science and math people, we will always have a shortage of science and math people. (Can you guess I just failed my 5th try at english comp 2? Not because I couldn't handle the subject, but because I had yet another stupid, power hungry, hateful teacher.)

Discovering the laws of physics and chemistry will tell us how the universe works. It is an admirable goal, however lofty or idealistic. It is the work of the scientist though (others, such as engineers, make use of those discoveries) to make these particular advances, and I don't think it is necessary that every HS graduate be a scientist. Understanding (and appreciating) the roles of the scientist, engineer, and others is equally important, however, and I absolutely agree that History and Philosophy must be included. The former of those two contains many painful lessons on what happens when a society forgets the latter.

Status
Not open for further replies.