U.S. PC Companies Dead in 20 Years, says Acer

Status
Not open for further replies.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
Acer might want to come out with a better product first. Dell is far ahead of them. HP, Compaq hmmmm... those seem on par with Acer. I doubt as outsourced as all the mentioned companies are, being built in Malaysia and China with tech support in India that they will vanish in 20 years time.

El_Capitan

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
Wtf, how is this news? Someone from a rival company predicts another company will go under in 20 years, whoopty doo! There's not even a valid reason why except maybe the forgone conclusion that history repeats itself in the U.S. As a consumer, how is this relevant?

I predict Tom's Hardware will come up with real news rather than pulling shit out of their ass. You could post that news item next.

I really doubt that that would happened businessed are not going to be replacing their desktops with all netbook's gamer's are going to use netbooks, people like having a large screen espically older folk you just arent going to get that with a netbook without an external monitor

G

It started when IBM sold out to Lenovo. Then Gateway became part of Acer group. It would not surprise me to see another fall. Its like the television makers first they exported much of the manufacturing and now their basically dead. Considering how important consumer goods is to our economy. Its too bad most of it is made in other countries.

batkerson

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2008
Maybe Acer will just buy HP and Dell, like they did eMachines and Gateway. . .but only the name will be "dead". . .eventually.

loomis86

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009
I think they will take over cell phones before they take over PCs. Motorola and Nokia aren't dead yet. After that I expect to see netbooks overrun by asian brands. Laptops and desktops will be the last hold outs. Components will still be american for a long long long time.

edilee

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
They all make junk so who really cares if they all go out. As long as you can get seperate components and build your own then what Dell,HP, ACER, etc are producing should be a non issue. You can't pay $500 for a complete PC (monitor, keyboard, mouse, and the PC) with a printer thrown in and think you have just gotten a great deal.

I cannot tell you the amounts of PC I have had brought to me that the motherboard or some component on it. You get what you pay for.

G

I Sincerely hope that Acer goes completely bankrupt and that their stock bottoms out.

Acer is the worst company possible cause they provide the worst possible tech support there is by failing to provide necessary tech support documents not only to their customers, but to their own support staff.

Even worse is they take perfectly good companies and they ruin them through acquisition. Cause once they acquire a company, they ruin the tech support and remove all tech documents necessary to the support of the equipment sold by the acquired company.

The Acer Corporate Heads should be Shot Dead for their Sales Ethics.

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
[citation][nom]RADIO_ACTIVE[/nom]God this guy better hope he doesnt eat his own words in 20 years...I mean what if ACER isnt around...[/citation]

Which is actually MORE likely. Companies like Dell, Acer, and HP don't make their own laptop hardware. This work is outsourced to companies like compal, and clevo. So, essentially, they don't differentiate from each other in hardware specs, and share very similar costs. That means, in order to sell their product for less than a competitor, they need to shave costs elsewhere in their companies, and in doing so, often the quality of service suffers. And, with consumers, you only get to sell them a lemon once or twice before they decide that they'd rather pay more for the same product with higher quality support. The longer Acer tries to gain marketshare by selling products with inferior service, the more they make consumers aware that they're an inferior brand name.

I... don't get how they're going to do much better than they are, honestly. And, HP is freaking ruthless. Gooooood luck even staying competitive with them, Acer guy. He seems DELUSIONAL to me. And, a Nationalist Prick too.

vikatin

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2010
As a geek squad employee, I can say this, Best buy does not have much acer offerings but SOMEHOW, the most computers we see and try to fix, are of the acer variety. 30 percent of the computers we have always sold have been HP, so in default, we sell mostly HP computers. But we ALWAYS see the acers come back because of poor quality issues more so than HP despite only have 2 acer models out.

Sure, Acer is cheap, looks like a good value, and seems to have a "good" selling reputation. But keep in mind,

YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!!!

Did I mention that I have a strong suspicion that Acer uses refurbished parts? So does that mean you are buying a refurbed laptop, or a new?!
I noticed a scratch or two on the hard drive casings when I opened 3 Acer latops. Those laptops also had bad drives! Go figure!!

Status
Not open for further replies.